PDA

View Full Version : possible to scale animated nCloth?

Phlok
12-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi almighty owners of eternal knowledge,

I've got a problem with an nCloth animation- there is a cloth forming a spiral (see image attached), wrapping around a pole.

While wrapping, the spiral is supposed to get broader, so that in the end of the animation all of the pole is covered with cloth (as indicated by the arrows in the picture).

Here's what I tried so far:

Animating a Lattice deformer worked but, this was good for scaling the whole model, not the broadness of the fabric as desired.

Then I tried keyframing the scale of the input mesh, what...well...did scale the input mesh. Unfortunately this didn't scale the nCloth mesh during animation.

The same was with Blendshapes on the input mesh...this didn't have any impact on the nCloth mesh, either.

At last, I simulated to a certain frame and made a duplicate of the input mesh (dub special, without input graph). Then I created a geometry cache for that specific single frame out of the nCloth mesh and had that attached to the duplicate. Having this done, now I could swap from the nCloth to the duplicate and then using a blend shape that I modeled. Well, with the low res cloth as in the image, this might work fine, but if on high res this can get a real pain.

Can you think of any other way on how to do things here? Any cloth parameter I might have forgotten or not found?

Thanks for any advice!

Castius
12-02-2009, 09:03 PM
One way if to connect a different mesh as a rest shape.
Duplicate your cloth.
Then slect your cloth then your duplicate.
under edit nCloth run "connect select mesh to rest shape

This is what is in the scene i am including.

Or make Component to Component constraints across the width of the cloth. And animate the restlength.

Phlok
12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks a lot! That's exactly what I was looking for!

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.