PDA

View Full Version : openEXR and framebuffer

choi-margatta
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi guys. We can put different shading contribution into different framebuffers with openEXR, that's allright. But what I would like to do is to put different geometries to different framebuffers. Having all render layers in the same image file. Is that possible, if so, how?

Agent X
12-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Hey,
Unless i have read your request incorrectly I think that you want to use 'pass contribution maps'.

You can use this to specify passes you want to apply to which peices of geometry. Say you have a floor and a ball on it. You create a pass contribution map for the ball and create another one for the floor.

you can then do global passes(applied to all objects) or create specific passes for each map.

you can find out more about it here (http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2009help/files/WS73099cc142f48755602caf04118f18e7a07-5a94.htm).

Hope i didn't misunderstand your issue and that it helps.

Agent X
12-05-2009, 02:11 AM
No man, Thank you! Thank you for taking the time to come back let other people whohave the same issue as you know that this information was useful or not.

That way, someone else can post a thread about exactly the same issue in a few weeks.

I look forward to your questions about Tonemapping and cut out alpha and any other question that is asked here on a weekly basis.

Kudos

Remi
12-05-2009, 04:50 PM
bad day agent? :curious: If it makes you feel better, I learned something new from that link, so thanks!!! For some reason I never think to check the help docs for stuff like that, I just assume it won't be in there, so I've learned to RTFM essentially, where's CIM when you need him:)

Agent X
12-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Hey Remi,
It actually wasn't that bad of a day. I am not sure what pushed me over the edge. Usually it is an inflated sense of self worth due to alcohol, but that wasn't even it.

I just get so incredibly tired of:
a) Question about frame buffers
b) Someone getting an answer to an issue i am having, but not saying if it worked.

It takes you 3 minutes to come back and say "totally fixed my problem" or "Don't listen to that guy, he is a douche" ( i get that one a lot).

The online docs are great for when you know exactly what you want to find, but otherwise they are pretty hard to navigate.
When a new version of Maya comes out, i usually read through the "what's new" section and take note of anything i think could be useful later. Like the link above.

I think that http://www.lmgtfy.com should become way more prevalent here. I use it on the account services people here all the time. They are beginning to get the point.

Seeing as i have already hijacked this thread, what other questions annoy people in this forum? (I find nerd raging to be quite cathartic).

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2009, 02:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.