PDA

View Full Version : Walk cycle animation. Please give me your advice.

ogiejao
12-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Hello. I have been making walk cycle animation.
I want to make it more humane.
I think it is not organic.
Especially knee and foot movement, those looks like machine.
I want these a lot more move smoothly.

I made this cycle in 44 frame and almost all of tangent are flat.
Arm and upper body joints is moved by FK, and Foot is by IK.
If you were me, what would you do to make this a lot more organic?
Any advice will be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AojtV1jl_i4

skarab
12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Two things that I see right off are that the feet stay flat on the floor, where they should "roll", and have the heel come up before the whole foot lifts at the end of the step. Second thing is to get some motion in the shoulders so they move with the swing of the arms a little.

Then maybe a little side-to-side sway in the hips so the weight appears to be over the supporting foot.

Good luck with this, post again when you've played around with it!

snot_nose
12-03-2009, 10:24 PM
the video is really small. why not use the whole frame? it would be also better to use quicktime if u have this option somewhere, so that people could scroll through the frames.

good start
the thing that i most noticed was the stiffness of her pelvis. more parts should rotate and move. (especially the top part) there is some nice movement on the ass, maybe u should exaggerate it more.

everything moving the same time. especially the legs are too much synchronized with the hands.

everything move in a monotonic way. especially the up and down of the body movement. u should give her more weight (more time on the down for more heavy and more time on the up for more light).

feets seems a bit too forward which makes her out of balance. also the proportion of the feet is strange for this character.
u should also work more on their curve movement

the timing of the legs seems slow to me i think the legs could be more straight before they leave the ground (so some more frames on the ground could help)

ogiejao
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
To skarab

Thank you for your advice. I didn't notice the stiffness of my foot before you said.
Shoulder movement too. Hips, yes, seems I have to move it a lot.
I will post again in a few days. Please critique again.

ogiejao
12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Yes. Sorry, I didn't notice the size of my clip I will make it bigger next time.

Thank you for your advice. I couldn't notice what you said, especially, the monotonous and synchro. And about weight, yes I need to make it have more weight variation.
Shoes, I made it a little bigger to make her a little cartoonish But it is getting a pain, because it make it hard to move her like a human. If I need I will resize it, but it means I have to modify the whole her clips including walking, so I will try without resizing for a time being.
Thank you again, I will mod my clip.

ogiejao
12-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Ah,, My second post is to snot_nose.
Sorry.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2009, 03:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.