PDA

View Full Version : GM3D's 2009 Demo Reel

grantmoore3d
12-02-2009, 04:38 AM
In the last year, I've finished University and done a lot of self study with the goal of getting into the CG industry and I'm proud to present my new demoreel showcasing the work I've created this past year. I would be happy to hear any comments / critiques any of you might have - I hope to make next year's reel put this one to shame :)

Grant Moore's 2009 Demo Reel & Breakdown (http://www.grantmoore3d.com/index.php?section=demoreel)

EricDLegare
12-02-2009, 01:24 PM
that was pretty cool !

mattmos
12-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Nice work! Interesting to see the progress from the 2008 reel as well. I think there's a few things you could do if you're still thinking about making changes at all:

first couple of sculpts - nice form and detailing - wires could be useful to see overlaid, to check animation potential/clean mesh. Might want to put a loin cloth on the first scuplt, I know it sounds stupid as fine art doesn't hide anything, but for the reel it might prevent unwanted reactions.

rig looks good.

forest - parts look good, the glaring thing for me is the way the trees meet the ground - you need some kind of mask to feather or break up the straight lines.

motion graphics - nice work

green monster guy - great character, very cute - maybe keep some of the animation with him you have in your previous reel as well?

stills are nice, kind of bizarre but in a good way!

final film looks nice but prob too much of it on there. In fact, I think you need to trim the whole length a bit, anything over 2 minutes is a slog these days...

grantmoore3d
12-02-2009, 03:58 PM
EricDLegare: Thanks ;)

mattmos: Thanks a lot for the critique, I appreciate it. I was a little worried it was too long, however I made sure to put the content I really wanted seen up front so I'll have to see how it is received, maybe cut it back later.

I completely agree with the trees, it drives me crazy that they look so terrible. However it wasn't my responsibility on that project... would it be appropriate to put another bullet in my breakdown saying "Things I DIDN'T work on?", or would that maybe be a little too much like a toddler telling on his friends :P

First sculpt, wasn't sure how people would take the nudity, but it's part of my personality to not hold back or censor things so I'll just leave it, but I agree some may not appreciate it.

b-in-3d
01-26-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm curious as to how you did the black and white "shaky sequence" with the guy walking down the road. Really well done.

Also, the wolverine mickey mouse was awesome. :cool:

grantmoore3d
01-27-2010, 12:56 AM
It was, more or less, broken down into the following.

1) Base Value : This was a flat render where each character / texture was created by printing out the UV layout, and doing some pencil sketching on paper, scanning it back in, and rendering it flat, without any lighting / shading

2) Toon Shadar : Using a toon shader, I ran the rendered stills through a Photoshop sequence which added some dirty variation on the edges (can't remember what plugin). Then I used this as a mask for a dark stop-motion sequence I recorded with a pile of used charcoal pushed around each frame.

3) Line : Same process as the toon shadar.

4) Noise : I sketched on paper using charcoal a sequence of about 96 sheets of random mess. Photographing them at a high resolution allowed me to apply a randomized position / rotation in post so that few second sequence could be infinitely looped to feel messy.

Then I added some additional vignetting, contrast, and randomized positions to the final sequences to give them a jittery position on the screen in post. That's pretty much it, just a mix of stop-motion for textures, Photoshop filters and toon shading.

The ripping was simply a piece of paper on black velvet, I did stop motion of me ripping it away and used it as a mask for the dark void. :)

b-in-3d
01-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Wow, that must have taken quite a while to accomplish. I love the idea of 3d mixed with hand drawn elements, also with the stop motion. Very cool.

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2010, 01:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.