PDA

View Full Version : noob need help: how to make a flaming eye

Zocky
08-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a question here. when talking about dynamics & special effects, I'm a total noob. I have seen free tut about ring of fire, but I'm still too dumb to make "flaming eye". You know, the kind in LOTR? Well, actually, my goal isn't to make that kick ass effect (well, I would like, but I'm too stupid for that at the moment ), I would just like to know how could I make a fire in a specific shape? I made a verry simple eye-like shape with polygons, and now I would like to somehow apply fire effect to that shape. Can anyone help me here? Tnx.

Zocky

Pete2003
08-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi,

Firstly, I reckon making realistic fire is one of the hardest things to do with particles, but I can try and start you off :)

You could emit particles from your eyeball shape just by selecting your eyeball, and setting the emitter to directional (y-axis). You should then have a bunch of particles emitting from you eyeball upwards. You could then play around with turbulence and drag fields etc to get the right movement of fire <-This part should take a while:)

Then its time to decide on the type of particles you want, but a combination of streak, point and sprite particles rendered out in seperate passes each having different movement and dynamics would probably be best.

If yo wanted to start getting complex, you could have particles being emitted from your eyeball and set the colour of the particles to be the colour of the texture on the eyeball where they were emitted from (Search the help files for texture emission if your not sure how to do this). The particles could then change to a fiery colour as they move upwards so the eyeball could look as if it was 'melting' into the fire :beer:

Anyhoo, like I say fire can be pretty troublesome to do with particles but if you have Maya 5 Im sure someone round here will say you could do it in 5 minutes with Maya Fluids :rolleyes:

Pete.

Zocky
08-21-2003, 06:02 PM
tnx a lot, man! ;)

Well, I currently have Maya 4.0, but what is Maya Fluid? Sorry, I'm jus curios?:blush:

Tnx again for help!

(I'll try something. If I'll have a problem, I'll ask here for help again, if you don't mind, hehe).

Pete2003
08-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Fluid Effects are new to Maya 5, they can produce some really nice effects like fluids mixing together, gaseous substances, flames, heat etc. Not really had chance to look at it properly yet though but check Alias' site for more info.

Good look getting that fire working though :)

Pete.

verbal007
09-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Pete2003
Fluid Effects are new to Maya 5...

Fluid Effects came out for 4.5 Unlimited but were improved on in 5 Unlimited. Water turbulance... mmmm....

- J

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.