PDA

View Full Version : Color Spaces and Spectral Rendering

stussy
11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
mental ray Functional Overview - White Paper

Document version 1.7
September 21, 2009

... Color Spaces and Spectral Rendering
RGB colors do not provide suf®cient color frequency resolution for all applications, like lighting simulations or wavelength dependent refractions. Color calculations can therefore be performed in mental ray in a number of other, more accurate tristimulus color spaces, like CIE XYZ.

If this is not suf®cient, color can also be represented by spectra, represented by a larger number of separate frequency samples, allowing wavelength dependent optics with high accuracy.

Does someone knows something about that promising feature and why is it not available in MR for Maya? Or why is it hidden, not implemented, not supported, like always? Is it Autodesk? I really would like to know what is going at Autodesk

cheers

Stussy

Wolfganng
11-30-2009, 11:56 PM
If I am not mistaken, support for spectral rendering is already in MR, the thing is you would need to wrote your own shaders to make use of it. Dont quote me though, but im pretty sure the functionality is there.

stussy
12-01-2009, 10:14 AM
that is exactly what I thought :(

"you would need to wrote your own shaders to make use of it"

Apparently it seems, there is no competition with other render engines for Autodesk. Or what might be the reason for the enduring attitude of Autodesk: if you want Mental Ray to do something, wrote your own stuff. We wont

Sergio76
12-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Is there a possibility that someone already wrote needed shaders? This sounds too nice to be forgotten.

stussy
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
well you know, it was Friday afternoon and we wanted to go fishing on the weekend and so .... yes, we have forgotten it. next time ... perhaps :wavey:

Sergio76
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
yes, we have forgotten it.
Well, I'll try not to forget.

There must be some way to use this. Or so I hope...

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.