PDA

View Full Version : CNN:Face to face with "Doom"

RobertoOrtiz
08-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Quote:
"I hop into a four story high hole, my eyes focused on a red icon set amidst a swirling cauldron of ... something.

I grab it and am instantly thrown back out into the heart of a space station slowly being enveloped by hell. A roaring, banshee-like scream fills the air. I begin moving at a dizzying pace, the room blurring in the corners of my eyes. I spot one of my three opponents and quickly kill him with my bare hands. Another sees me and runs away fast. I give chase, only to find myself face down on the floor seconds later, the latest victim of a shotgun blast.

I'm one of the first eight people outside of id Software to play the multiplayer version of "Doom 3". And as I feared, my deathmatch skills are as pathetic as ever even when I manage to find the berserker power-up. "
>>Link<< (http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/15/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm)

-R

richcz3
08-20-2003, 06:41 PM
It will be interesting to see if Doom3 lives up to its billing and fan expectations.

The Deathmatch at Quakecon was set at 640x480 with no antialiasing. Pretty telling about the muscle needed to run the game in its current incarnation. Hardly somthing to be ready by December release. It has now been delayed till mid 2004.
It's better to wait for 2GHz with GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9600 cards to become midrange.

Maybe its a bit daunting that Halflife 2's minimum 700MHz spec is a daunting one compared to Doom3's 1Ghz. Halflife is due out in September and the mod community is waiting in the wings for the SDK. No SDK has been mentioned for Doom3 yet.

richcz3

j00st81
08-20-2003, 09:39 PM
cant wait for Doom3 nor HL2, dont know wich has more to offer though, I think Doom3 has more "in your face" horror and HL2 much more eery and building up suspence.

(big guess :))

erilaz
08-21-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by richcz3

...No SDK has been mentioned for Doom3 yet.

richcz3

It's always been Carmack's policy to release code with his games, so I wouldn't worry.:)

zappenduster
08-21-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by richcz3
It will be interesting to see if Doom3 lives up to its billing and fan expectations.

The Deathmatch at Quakecon was set at 640x480 with no antialiasing. Pretty telling about the muscle needed to run the game in its current incarnation. Hardly somthing to be ready by December release. It has now been delayed till mid 2004.
It's better to wait for 2GHz with GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9600 cards to become midrange.

Maybe its a bit daunting that Halflife 2's minimum 700MHz spec is a daunting one compared to Doom3's 1Ghz. Halflife is due out in September and the mod community is waiting in the wings for the SDK. No SDK has been mentioned for Doom3 yet.

richcz3

i think they did move hl2 to a later release date end september or so =(

and since noone could check hl2 on pc i wouldnt say its playable on a 700mhz maybe u can even start it on a 486 with 3days load time but i wouldnt call it playing =)

so just wait until its ready and then decide

ScribbleHEAD
08-21-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by zappenduster
i think they did move hl2 to a later release date end september or so =(

and since noone could check hl2 on pc i wouldnt say its playable on a 700mhz maybe u can even start it on a 486 with 3days load time but i wouldnt call it playing =)

so just wait until its ready and then decide

thats kind of lame quote dude....the release date is still the same, according to vavle pres. gabe newell :P

Source (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/27654)

And actually HL2 should be 100% playable on the min requirements, albeit it won't look pretty (the min. req. have to be that part of the large modding community and fans out there still run on lower end pc's due to Counter-Strike)

CGmonkey
08-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ScribbleHEAD
thats kind of lame quote dude....the release date is still the same, according to vavle pres. gabe newell :P

Source (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/27654)

And actually HL2 should be 100% playable on the min requirements, albeit it won't look pretty (the min. req. have to be that part of the large modding community and fans out there still run on lower end pc's due to Counter-Strike)

You know, that is pretty old news.. The releasedate is set to early may in a pressrelease by Vivendi. So, sorry dude :shrug:

ScribbleHEAD
08-21-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by CgMonkey
You know, that is pretty old news.. The releasedate is set to early may in a pressrelease by Vivendi. So, sorry dude :shrug:

Source link plz.

And besides it is'nt official since valve has'nt mentioned any delays....Vivendi has **** to say in this matter, since Valve founded this game purely on the earnings from HL1.

Everything other than a official word from gabe newell/valve has to be dealt with a grain of salt.

Don't get me wrong i really don't give a rats ass if the game is delayed or not, tho i'd like some proof that tells me either one of the possibillities...suffice to say i offered some kind of source, i'd suggest you do too monkey

erilaz
08-22-2003, 01:18 AM
I just hope the old "The longer the dely the better the game" thing works this time around for both games.

CGmonkey
08-22-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by ScribbleHEAD
Source link plz.

And besides it is'nt official since valve has'nt mentioned any delays....Vivendi has **** to say in this matter, since Valve founded this game purely on the earnings from HL1.

Everything other than a official word from gabe newell/valve has to be dealt with a grain of salt.

Don't get me wrong i really don't give a rats ass if the game is delayed or not, tho i'd like some proof that tells me either one of the possibillities...suffice to say i offered some kind of source, i'd suggest you do too monkey

Hehe, believe me.. That's not how it works. You see, Vivendi is pretty much in charge. And since a game publisher (with a license such as half-life) wouldn't give a rats ass about the quality of the shipped product, they just want to make money. And as soon as the product is shipped, the more money they'll make.

erilaz
08-22-2003, 05:36 AM
Vivendi is really bugging me at the moment.:annoyed:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.