PDA

View Full Version : Motion Blur - Excessively long render times

DragoCG
11-30-2009, 07:19 PM
I've been trying to render out a basic scene using motion blur instead of the standard production settings. However, motion blur seems to multiply my render times from 1 minute per frame to about 10-15 minutes per frame. I expected it to increase, but is this normal? Does anyone have any tips on how to cut this time down, or can you recommend other rendering apps that are more efficient? Any input on workflow is appreciated.

living3d
11-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Set your primary renderer to rasterizer. It'll decrease the rendertime.

Remi
11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
depending on what you're using to composite with, you could render out motion vectors and apply blur in post as well(for more info do a search, it's been covered before). Just another option

Jadetiger
12-17-2009, 07:44 PM
depending on what you're using to composite with, you could render out motion vectors and apply blur in post as well(for more info do a search, it's been covered before). Just another option

I'm in the same boat. I have to have about 20 frame of motion blur rendered in a couple days and its taking an hour per frame. How do you render motion vectors? Can you point me to a good tut if its too difficult to explain?

The rasterizer render setting is working much faster, thankyou, but the quality is pretty poor.

DragoCG
12-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm rendering with Mental Ray, so I don't have much advice on Vector Render, but I can say that I trashed my prefs and that seemed to fix my render issue. I guess I should have tried that right away.

danlefeb
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
I definitely agree with Ryan. Motion vectors are the way to go, assuming you can import them with your compositing tool. You can adjust the amount of motion blur in post without having to re-render your 3d scene.

The simplest way to render motion vectors would be to use one of the preset passes for motion vectors.

Here's a video that may help: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14168751&linkID=9242258&CMP=OTC-RSSSUP01

Jadetiger
12-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Is that for maya 2010? I'm working with 8.5 still

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2009, 08:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.