PDA

View Full Version : File texture in hypershade

Als
11-30-2009, 01:10 PM
When zooming in on file texture nothing happens. It's still the same crap swatch resolution.
Why?
Is there any brilliant DEFAULT value I need to change to fix this

Thanks

Als

Emil3d
11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Increasing texture swatch resolution when zooming it in Hypershade? I think this used to be the case in some previous Maya versions but I'm not sure if i remember this or I'm imagining it:). There was some performance changes at some point that got rid of the continuous zooming in all but the work area tab and may be it was then when Maya started to create only tiny resolution texture swatches. I haven't been bothered from this yet but you question made me look around and I didn't find a way to make Maya automatically create higher resolution swatches. It has an option in the Preferences > Display > Max res. for swatches which prevents Maya from creating swatches for texture larger than the specified resolution. And this doesn't really make any sense since Maya doesn't create swatches larger than 56 pixels. And the manual says (http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2009help/index.html?url=Basics_Windows_and_Editors_Display_preferences.htm,topicNumber=d0e112297) that right clicking and refreshing a texture swatch should bring the maximum resolution of the texture - which apparently is not working.

However I found that if you right click on the texture swatch and choose test texture, it will render, and from the View menu in Render View you can choose Grab Swatch to Hypershade. Select the texture and MMB drag and drop it on the swatch in Hypershade.

coccosoids
11-30-2009, 06:12 PM
There's a setting somewhere in the hypershade menus that says 'keep swatches at current resolution'. You need to untick me thinks.

Emil3d
11-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Nope:sad:, That was the first thing I tried and probably Als did too, it doesn't allow higher resolution.

Als
11-30-2009, 06:40 PM
As far as I can see, none of this is actually working, which is very nice. :rolleyes:
The point is actually NOT to make swatch, but to be able to ZOOM in on my file texture - image, to pick a color, or just to see some detail I might neeed, which now you can't do.
Only "workaround" is using image in a camera view, but that's not it, since I have to change the window from hypershade to camera view.
"Keep swatches at current resolution" doesn't do anything at all as far as I can see...
Also test texture renders some silly small resolution as well, which again is totaly pointless...

Thank you for trying to help, just good to confirm with others, when finding fundamental things not working anymore...

Als

Emil3d
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
For picking color from more detailed texture you can try UV texture editor when the texture is assigned to an object.
The other workaround is, copy the mel that appears in the script editor when you choose test texture from the right clicking. Which is the code below + the path of your texture. Just change the 256 to the sizes of your texture.
compositeTest 256 256;
renderWindowEditor -edit -loadImage "your path" renderView;

edit:
Also if most of your textures are square you can do this. In the Script Editor when typing:
help compositeTest;
Maya will tell you where the mel file with that procedure is. My result was:
// Result: "compositeTest" is a MEL procedure that is defined in the file C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2009/scripts/others/compositeTest.mel //
You should be able to change 256 to something larger

Als
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for those, but they still are not really direct answer to the problem,
which is that it's impossible to get close up on texture, and that functionality which was there for so long is lost because... I have no idea...
As I'm trying out m2008 I see there is more and more options which just don't do anything at all. Nice... :argh:

Als

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.