PDA

View Full Version : I need to import animation from max into blender...solutions?

CerberusC
11-30-2009, 10:31 AM
That's my question, i need to import a shot from a test i'm doing from max to blender, i have myu character with skin/armature and an animated camera, i need some guide to import this from max to blender.

Help please.

Cheers and thanks.

Bao2
11-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Converting the animation in max to "point cache" or something like that was it named where there is no more bones but only the vertices of the mesh moving in each frame.

CerberusC
11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
This is great for character animation, but i need to export from max camera animation.

I know that bone animation workd in the latest build of 2.5 (since 25001)

But i cannot get it to work, because i only need an animated bone and that's it.

Cheers and thanks.

mfoxdogg
11-30-2009, 11:43 PM
try using a build with collada enabled

CerberusC
12-01-2009, 01:55 AM
I tried...but it seems that is not working for me...no bone animation, i can see the animation in the outliner of blender, but it seems that is not associated to the mesh that i've animated back in max.

Cheers.

CerberusC
12-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Converting the animation in max to "point cache" or something like that was it named where there is no more bones but only the vertices of the mesh moving in each frame.

I think my solution will be the Point Cache, now i have a problem...i don't know how to import load a pc2 inside a mesh i have in my blender 2.5 scene.

Can you help me with some advice/clue?

Cheers.

Bao2
12-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I have not tried myself but just start to use all the exports/imports to see which one works.

BUT, don't do it in Blender 2.5. It is completely new and probably no actual scripts will work. Also it is not even in beta, it is just a buggy and incomplete box of code to people test and say their opinions about, not even for modelling yet.

Work in 2.49b and test the importers there. Collada, FBX,...

strangerman
12-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Juan, i was looking the same and yesterday i found this

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105959&highlight=export_pc2.py

There are a couple of scripts to import/export pc2 files there. As usual, put them into the .script folder of blender and that's it.

A tip: export your MAX meshes to obj with the Blender preset and UNCHECK (very important) the OPTIMIZE VERTEX option to keep the vertex order.

hope this helps.

CerberusC
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
strangeman:

Thanks, i know this post in blender nation but i did not found the script for importing pc2, only for exporting, but i found a script that does this, you can found it here:

http://www.daniel3d.com/pepeland/misc/3dstuff/blender/anisculpt/anisculpt.htm

The problem with this script is that it works with blender 2.49 but it does not work with blender 2.5, also if i import a pc2 into 2.49 and then i save the blend file and load it in blender 2.5, there is no animation.

I need to import the animation in 2.5 because it is to integrate smoke simulation.

If you can point me the import scripts in the post that can be great, at least i can see if it works.

Cheers!

strangerman
12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi, the import script is right in the #8 comment from Matt, here is the link

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1024709&postcount=8

I didnt tested it with 2.5, only 2.49 and it worked just fine, but had the same problem you comment when i opened it in 2.5. I think 2.5 is not ready to be introduced in any environment near production yet, let's see what happens.

Maybe you can play with the shape morpher key frames once the pc2 is imported into blender and opened in 2.5...

CerberusC
12-08-2009, 03:01 AM
Yep...it does not work on Blender 2.5, and the collada importer is not working fine yet so i think i must wait to a new release or the first beta phase.

Cheers and thanks.

strangerman
12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Juan, i got it somewhat working , but if you dont know python scripting (like me) is a REAL pain in the ass. I edited by hand all the shapekeys to give them the correct value in every frame (yes, the shapes are there, but wrongly keyed). The real pain was to raise the range of every key which came with a default value of 0 in both min and max. Other than that it seems to work like in previous version.

Hope this helps

Jorge

CerberusC
12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
strangerman:

I don't know anything about phyton yet (in the future i'll learn it)

Do you think that is possible to you to do some script to fix that in every scene, or to fix the importer/exporter script?

What you say sound's like the values are not being correctly understood by the program, so maybe there is a way.

Thanks for looking into it, that is a great help!

Cheers.

strangerman
12-08-2009, 05:36 PM
I think you misunderstood me. I dont know how to script in python, so i've had to correct all the keys by hand. Sorry.

CerberusC
12-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Ouch... ok :)

So you think that someone that knows phyton can fix the script?

Can you describe a bit more what the problem is?

kattkieru
12-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Strange that nobody mentioned MDD / PointOven. It's not a free option, I think, but MDD is great going in either direction.

Well, not paid exactly... the MDD file format is well known, so I bet there's an exporter already around for Max.

strangerman
12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi kattkieru, you are right, there's an external plugin for max to export/read Point Oven files, but i prefer the pc2 file option because it's cooked into Max, so no need of external plugins. In case we update our Max we'll still be able to export the pc2 files without waiting any recompiles of PO plugin for future Max new versions.
Thanks anyway for pointing to this option.

CerberusC
12-09-2009, 02:22 PM
But is there some MDD importer plugin for blender 2.5?

Because what strangerman says is true, i prefer pc2 also, but if is there something that let me work right now, that can be really great.
Later Blender 2.5 will be working flawlesly, and all will work hehehe.

By the way, strangerman, can you point me to some key sahpe tutorial so i can see how to fix this manually?

Thanks.

Juan Gea.

strangerman
12-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I'll see if i can show it to you, but i'm at work and my pc just quit working this afternoon :sad:, so i wont be able to do r&d in a few days, sorry.

perrasos
02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
There is no mdd import script for blender 2.5 yet. But I found a way to get a mdd sequence into blender 2.5, its a bit of a pain in the asscrack but we gonna have to live with it until there is a working importer.

First open up blender 2.49b, open your objects and apply the mdd data to them.

Select the object with mdd data applied to it, then go to the edtiting tab (F9). Switch to the Shapes tab.

What you need to do here is to manually step through the whole animation sequence by clicking at the right arrow button (just below the Add Shape Key button).

When you are done clicking through the sequence you can save the blender scene and open it in blender 2.5, and the animation will still be there.

If someone comes up with a better way of doing this please let me know!

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.