PDA

View Full Version : New CG Magazine

siquier
08-20-2003, 10:40 AM
It is called 3D Nspiration.
Check it here (http://www.3dnspiration.com/index_1.htm)

Milho
08-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Great stuff! All my favorit cgtalkers in a magazine. Kind of mini Expose :)
Though the pics are pretty small, I like it alot. This gets a good place in my bookmarks!

:wavey:

Clanger
08-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Very good, hope it all goes well, can't have too many CG mags.
I agree Milho though, pics too small but I guess bandwidth is a worry.

aurora
08-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Me likey, me likey alot! I also agree with the image size issue, BUT I also agree that larger images require more space = more bandwidth = more money.
My other comment is towards the website. I would suggest not making clicking on the images on the index page open a new browser for the main page. Just a stickler for me thats all. Great work on the site and mag other wise .

mattregnier
08-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Whoa it's expose w/o the $100 price tag, and it has a wider distribution...this is really really sweet...and a great idea...

jason-slab
08-20-2003, 03:58 PM
hey this is neato!!

how about making two different sizes, a high and a low!!
more work i know, but personally i'm not to worried about bandwidth, especially when it comes to good cg!

:thumbsup:
|jason

Pent
08-20-2003, 04:08 PM
woah, nice!
and its free!!?
:D :D:applause:

relativity
08-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Awesome mag, nice overall layout. Thanks again, I enjoyed reading it.

josambs
08-21-2003, 11:08 AM
hi,
- what do you mean with too small images? on the site itself or in the mag (issue1.pdf)?
- any other suggestions, critque, etc.?

johannes

3Dnspiration.com editor

Peter Reynolds
08-21-2003, 11:40 AM
The images and the text in the PDF could both do with a size increase.

Looking at the PDF at 200 or 300% doesn't do justice to the quality of the content. (content - damn I hate that word)

josambs
08-21-2003, 11:58 AM
well,

the images cannot be much bigger due to the pdf page size. you are correct with the text. all the stuff we are learning from issue#1 will be taken into consideration when creating issue#2. don't forget to submit your work.

johannes

http://www.3Dnspiration.com editor

sevenfingers
08-21-2003, 03:38 PM
My not so humble recommendations are as follows:

Since you're not confined byt the limitations by HTML, use the PDF format fully.

Change the typeface you're using to a nice body-type one, Sabon perhaps, and if you're in to sans serifs, pick a humanist one... Frutiger or The Sans comes to mind. Just don't stick with the pixel typeface.

Have the typeface embedded in the PDF not as an image, but as an actual typeface. Would help zoomed viewing and remove the compression artifacts the type's getting.

Up the image resolution, again, and since you're not confined by the limitations of the HTML format, you can actually use the DPI settings in Photoshop for something useful.

Hopefully, you have the server space to cope with higher resolution images in the PDF's, but if not... make it more centered around the text and embed the typefaces.

Overall a nice first try, I'm sure the next issue will be better though.

:beer:

josambs
08-21-2003, 03:46 PM
hi,
thanks for the advice, a few comments though. using verdana was intentionally, we wanted to achieve a symbiosis between website and mag. as many people critizise the small font size, this will be changed in issue#2.
i thought about picking frutiger or futura, but if i embed them as normal typeface, people need to have it installed when they want the correct display, dont they. using a more common one would be better i suppose.
well, thank you for your comment, we are learning all the time,
cheers, :beer:

johannes

sevenfingers
08-21-2003, 03:55 PM
well, if that is an issue (it shouldn't be - embedding should actually embed the typeface file), you could always just use verdana (as it was your preference), most computers should have it installed... and replacement typefaces shouldn't be an issue anymore. :)

tonygib
08-22-2003, 11:40 AM
cool, downloading it now and congrads on doign it as a PDF file, makes getting, reading and keeping it that much easier, I can see I now have another PDF to add to my Animation World Mag PDF downloads :)

As for download sizes, maybe some ppl would be willing to mirror or even a sponsor or two, a couple of ads is a small viewing price to pay for nice, large qulaity images.

Keep up the good work

PS I am getting a 404 file not found error when I try to download the first issue. Anyone else having the same problem?

EDIT
Never mind, it was the filtering on my firewall that was affecting the link text on the web page, got it now.

mushroomgod
08-22-2003, 01:03 PM
like everyone else I think it could be larger but i thinks its a realy nce idea..

perhaps you could have somkind of mailing list to let people know when the other issues are ready?

josambs
08-23-2003, 12:41 PM
hi,

there is a mailing list, send a blank mail to newsletter@3dnspiration.com and you will receive notifications of updates.
the deluxe version of issue#1 will be done if enough people want it. issue#2 will have a normal and a deluxe version for certain.

johannes

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.