PDA

View Full Version : nurbs, sub-d, polygon - when

dRE86
11-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I always used 3d max with polygon modeling.. im starting with maya, and I can see the benefits os sub-d and nurbs.. but,

I've just tried a head modeling with sub-d, i didn't like at all,, confusing, cant have much control,, for the eyes, mouth,, with loft, it was a terrible experience !

I want to have full befit from every one, but when should i use them ?

KevBoy
11-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Gosh, that's a difficult question, it highly depends on what needs to be modeled and for what end purpose or goal.

Generally nurbs aren't much used in CG and are more popular in design for manufacturing, in particular industrial design and automobile bodywork.

Sub-d now holds significant ground, characters are nearly ubiquitously sub-d because it animates quite well and predictably.

Polygons are still popular in hard-surface models for games and film, also used a lot in architecture because of its generally more angular geometry.

jakeh14
12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I've never found NURBs terribly useful for anything. I don't really industrial/auto design, so what KevBoy said could very well be the case. Then again, NURBs might be a good intermediary between other steps.

I assume by sub-d you mean sculpt modeling (I've never heard it called that, but I'm fairly new to that whole aspect of modeling). This technique can be useful for multiple uses. Of course, you can make a stellar high-poly model using it. You can also create normal maps to be laid onto a lower poly model (this is fairly common in game models).

I'm well versed in poly modeling, and I find that it's useful in everything I do. Every high poly model starts with a low poly model with good edge flow so that animations and sculpting work properly.

There are a TON of modeling techniques out there, and how you use them is personal preference. For example, I don't usually find box modeling terribly helpful. However, you can create a quick torso using that technique coupled with poly modeling, deformation tools, and even some spline modeling.

Wow, that sounds like a wishy-washy response :-P
I think the universal in modeling is that you create a model which will be conducive to what you'll be applying it to.

KevBoy
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
I think the universal in modeling is that you create a model which will be conducive to what you'll be applying it to.

Truth.

This is the most important, and difficult, part of modeling.

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.