PDA

View Full Version : Approximation editor 2010

revilo3D
11-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey Guys,

Seems I have a problem I can't resolve. Trying to render displacement in Maya 2010 with very limited luck.

Rundown
--------

- Base mesh (cleaned , uv, frozen etc etc) > ZB
- Zb 3.5 Sculpt .. say 4 div.
- Step geo back down to div 0 and export back to maya
- Export 32bit 3 channel flipped v tif subpix 4
- Maya... import geo, soften normals, disable feature displacemnt ,del history and apply MR approximation node
- Enable tiffloat plugin, build shader network with disp map, file texure, alpha = lum, alpha gain + offset 1/2
-render

nothing really.... blank displacement (ie.. if I intentially adjust alpha settings it is doing some displacement)

enable feature disp on geo again... I get results! but tesselation is poor. disable feature disp, I still get same results. MR Approximation node changes has NO effect!

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=20310
I even tried getting this output.. nothing usable.

Anybody else having issues?

revilo3D
11-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Ahh crap.. just discovered my problem. I was applying disp approx node not subd node. Its to late. How do I delete a thread! :P

djx
11-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Don't delete it. It is probably going to be helpful for someone else. :thumbsup:

-- David

moonangel
11-28-2009, 06:15 PM
ok, got quite the same problem, but i don't want to use a subdiv approx, because it makes may plane circle-round.

why do the displace approxes do nothing good anymore? either they do nothing... after toggling the FeatureDisplacement on the shape of the mesh, it sometimes does something, and when it does, you can turn the FeatureDisplacement off, it gives you exactly the same result with less rendertime... if it gives you any result and not just the flat plane, or something so extremely low poly that you could have done it by hand.
and increasing the divisions in the approx has as the approx itself no effect until you retoggle the FeatureDisplacement in some weird way and hope, it at some point starts to really displace your mesh.

So whats going on with this? i remember a time, where displacement just worked...

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2009, 06:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.