PDA

View Full Version : sun lit fire and motion?

kelgy
11-27-2009, 01:21 AM
I need to find info on creating realistic shaded fire in daylight sun. Fire in daylight looks different from nighttime fire as is easy to observe(reference flag burning demos in news photos).
I have fiddled with maya's fire settings and come close(I didnt try it with MR physical sun however-just some lights and a blue background).

Anyone have some setting tips?
Or should I consider doing a fair amount of frame by frame painting and or using actual flame composited into a shot?

Also--if one has a character that is partly on fire-should I forget maya fire for it? I have read up on the Ghost Rider fire and recall they said maya fire wasnt suitable for fast motion.
I am thinking frame painting and real flame compositing may be the best option...but wonder if anyone can link me to examples of that. Thanks.

apoc519
11-27-2009, 05:36 AM
It's probably not something I would ever bother with honestly. I don't think I've ever lit fire in my career and I've done LOTS of fire. You should be able to get the look you want just within the fluid shading attributes. Plus fire is generally composited as an additive layer or with a max/lighten layer mode and not so much using the alpha(Im sure people will disagree with me on this though) so its going to pick up the lighting of whatever its composited onto.

If your character isnt covering too much distance while hes on fire you should be ok with fluids. I might suggest just using sprites though.

Gianfranco2019
11-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Hello,
I agree with avoc, I most did fire in a dark environment, but I found
during my reference research a fire in daylight (gettyImage.com)
I don't know if all the kind of combustion are going to behave in the same way,
but for that reference, you will find a very easy work around in compositing.

Playing with the right blending mode.

cheers

kelgy
11-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. I didnt mean specifically lighting fire-as in setting up lights for it--just how to go about creating fire that looks realistic in a daylight scene and whether anyone has tackled such a scenario or show an example or setting tips(I know it doesnt have much or any glow that I can observe in reference samples).

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2009, 09:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.