PDA

View Full Version : Online Degrees

GlynDavidson
11-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi all

I've been trawling the internet for providers of online degrees in animation/modelling etc but continuously hitting brick walls. Can anybody suggest any good providers? It would be beneficial if it was in the UK but not absolutely necessary I guess, seeing as how it would be an online course.

If not, does anybody have any other ideas of avenues that I could explore.

P.S. I'm a full time teacher which is why I need an online course.

MoisesBonilla
12-01-2009, 08:24 AM
I would try Animation Mentor, its an online animation school taught by industry people that can be taken from anywhere in the world. They are based in California, United States but run everything online, very convenient and flexible for working professionals and people from other countries who don't have access to schools or being too expensive. In the meantime you can also check out animation DVDs or online classes at Gnomon School of Visual Effects, they are based in Hollywood California U.S. Some Books that I would recommend are The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams, The Illusion of Life Disney Animation by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, Character Animation Crash Course! by Eric Goldberg, and the Drawn to Life Series by Walt Stanchfield.

Moises

TCPortfolio
12-11-2009, 05:13 AM
I too am looking for an online program...more in the 3D Generalist area, and not strictly animation. I was intrigued by Full Sail's program, but then I read some reviews and there was more bad than good. And, it was mostly really bad stuff. I need something that is doable for a working guy with a family, but something that is thorough enough to really be helpful, and something that is reputable and will be respected by industry leaders.

Any advice?

fig
12-11-2009, 02:18 PM
It's not a degree program, but the courses offered at fxphd (http://fxphd.com/) are fantastic and you can find one on just about anything CG-related that you might be interested in.

Rez007
12-11-2009, 05:21 PM
If you are definitely looking for a degree, which I recommend versus general training - nothing wrong with online general training, but since the animation industry is relatively young, you never know how you will fair in the future without an actual degree. In that case, I recommend The Academy of Art...

http://www.academyart.edu/

They offer almost everything online and have professors that work in the industry too. I got my BFA from the Art Institutes years back (I got the BFA in person - not online, so I cant speak for their online degree...if they offer one), and myself, I am thinking about getting my MFA online from the Academy of Art which they also have a program for. They have free online Q&A sessions and other things to see if you like it there ahead of time. In addition, it never hurts to request information from them and/or talk to a representative.

Best or Luck,
Rudy

valentious
12-13-2009, 03:32 PM
am from the Caribbean saint Lucia to be x-act

am looking for online training that is statistically rewarding with some sort of acheivement documentation or degree.

interest in 3d modeling,animation and scripting lessons

current 3d program -3ds max 2010
adobe cs3 series programs

email adrs-dem_boyz_118@hotmail.com

Kanga
12-14-2009, 05:46 AM
P.S. I'm a full time teacher which is why I need an online course.
Do you need it for your job,... like letters behind your name?

Animationmentor is no micky mouse course. People following it full time have difficulty with the workload. If you are a full time teach, then you dont have much spare time :) Be very careful with online learning. Animationmentor aside I have seen a few complaints here. Online workshops are a blast but that piece of paper you need, I dont know. Try contact as many ex students as you can if you find one.

Sounds iffy.

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2009, 05:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.