PDA

View Full Version : University - 3D design

brekulis
11-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi.
For last few days I am trying to find university(mainly in UK) where to study next year.
I have currently found some.

Loughborough University (3D design: New practice)
University of Brighton (3D design)
Northumbria University (3D design)
same uni (Computer Animation and Digital SFX)

The thing is, I am not sure about Universities quality and exact content of course (first 3).
Can you share any thoughts about these universities. Or suggest others?

If it helps, I want to work as 3D designer (+animation would be great), put images from scratches, sketches and plans to 3D. Maybe work with digital effects and stuff.

Thank you!

leigh
11-26-2009, 03:36 PM
The best university for 3D in the UK is Bournemouth.

brekulis
11-26-2009, 05:00 PM
O. thanks!

I found 2 courses rather interesting.
http://onlineservices.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/Course.aspx?course=235&school=DEC&level=ug&code=FDCGIAV&mode=ft&page=course_information
http://onlineservices.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/Course.aspx?course=238&school=DEC&level=ug&code=FDCGICMA&mode=ft&page=course_information&sub_page=course_overview

but they are both foundation degrees. What does that mean?
And after this foundation degree?

moidphotos
11-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Those are not the courses that Bournemouth is famous for :) The Foundation degree is the UK government's replacement for a qualification called HND - by calling an HND 'a foundation degree' they hope that lots of people will be foolish enough to enrol on one because it sounds like they are studying for a degree. Foundation degrees are two years in length and have a much lower quality requirement than a degree has, although you could argue that many animation degrees in the UK are so bad that there is little difference between them and a Foundation degree. Please note that I am not saying that Bournemouth's foundation degrees are poor (I have not seen any work from them), but foundation degrees in the UK in general are not the sort of course you want to enrol on - if you've got talent go for a full degree.

http://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/ these are the degrees that Bournemouth is famous for.

While you're looking at courses in 3D in the UK you could also consider the University of Hertfordshire, we are also one of the best 3D courses in the UK www.uhanimation.co.uk (http://www.uhanimation.co.uk)

Hmmm having re read the original poster's questions, are you asking for a Product Design course? meaning you wish to design vehicles / interiors / packaging etc? In which case you probably do not want either Herts or Bournemouth, so I apologise if I have confused you.

loraptor
11-30-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm currently in the 2nd year of the BA Computer Visualisation and Animation at Bournemouth. Happy to answer questions if you have any :)

Aguas
12-01-2009, 03:37 AM
brekulis, no intention to change the orientation of your Post, so i appologize.

moidphotos, since you mentioned Bournemouth, i'm thinking to go there (hopefuly 2012) to have a Postgraduate (ending in Masters, if i understood correctly). The thing is, i would like to follow game design (characters and levels), animation movies (Pixar a-like), and also real image effects (add 3D to real cinema footage). What would be the best choice from the 3 available? PS: I don't mind to take 2 separate postgraduations if needed.

Also, i don't know if you or anyone else can help me, but in Portugal we don't have those Ba, Bs, Hons, etc.. we leave highschool and go to an university, after the three or for years (depending on the course) we may follow Masters, and then PhD. I'm currently taking an undergraduate course of multimedia studies at my university here in Portugal, the thing is, when i finish it, is it enough to get in Bournemouth's Postgraduate? or do i need some other courses in the UK?

Thanks in advance, and brekulis, once again, i'm sorry to deviate your main subject...

Best regards,

Įguas

moidphotos
12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi Įguas

I'm sorry I can't help you with more information about Bournemouth; I don't teach there, I'm a lecturer at Hertfordshire university. In terms of what area to study - that depends on what you enjoy doing and what career you wish to work in after studying. Bournemouth is famous for VFX at Master's level, I don't know if they have a Games Art course.

Good luck

loraptor
12-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Hey Aguas,

This is the link to the Bournemouth National Centre of Computer Animation website:

NCCA Bournemouth (http://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk/)

This should give you informaton on the different courses available :)

As an extra note, there are alot of students from all over the world especially Europe in the school and going on the main University website should help you with finding out the exact requirements for the course. Try clicking on the International Students tab for more info.

Bournemouth University (http://home.bournemouth.ac.uk/)

Hope this helps you :D

Onuora
12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
pls i need help with my 3d characters, any tutorials pls send me a private mail thanks

Onuora
12-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi.
For last few days I am trying to find university(mainly in UK) where to study next year.
I have currently found some.

Loughborough University (3D design: New practice)
University of Brighton (3D design)
Northumbria University (3D design)
same uni (Computer Animation and Digital SFX)

The thing is, I am not sure about Universities quality and exact content of course (first 3).
Can you share any thoughts about these universities. Or suggest others?

If it helps, I want to work as 3D designer (+animation would be great), put images from scratches, sketches and plans to 3D. Maybe work with digital effects and stuff.

Thank you!

U can try this scul, max the mutt in Canada they also have links with top companies :thumbsup:

leigh
12-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Onuora, please stop derailing this thread with off topic posts.

ayedash
12-07-2009, 06:08 PM
i studied Computer Game Design at university of wales Newport. its a very good school, however the course does look at all aspects of game design rather than focusing on 3d design

Onuora
12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Onuora, please stop derailing this thread with off topic posts.

so sorry, thought i could help at least :cry:

loraptor
12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Your posts didnt make any sense? How would that help?

DHA
12-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi all!

I'm wondering about some professional and "accredited" (like animation mentor) online courses.

Do anyone know about this types of courses? I'm looking for Maya's courses (rendering, rigging) and also for motion graphics courses (After Effects).

Thanks,

DHA

Kanga
12-30-2009, 02:27 AM
Hi all!

I'm wondering about some professional and "accredited" (like animation mentor) online courses.

Do anyone know about this types of courses? I'm looking for Maya's courses (rendering, rigging) and also for motion graphics courses (After Effects).

Thanks,

DHA
If you have questions start your own thread. Use the search before you do there is a whole section on online courses here.

Maya course
F1

After effects
F1

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2009, 02:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.