PDA

View Full Version : 3D tracking on a green screen witch color for the tracking markers ?

NNois
11-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Hello,
I'm about to shoot an entire music clip on a green screen, and i need to prepare it for 3D tracking.
It's my first time on 3D tracking, i'm a CG guy, but it's a low budget... so i had to do it on my own (i'll do also the CG and compositing...) but i have a real studio with real cameraman and a good film editor.
I would like to know what is the best color for the tracking points, for the moment i have chosed to use a blue tape (to do a second key on blue to remove this marks) but is it the best choice ?
Olso I have the studio for one day and not more, plus a small detail, the artists are black people.

Thanks in advance.

Midgardsormr
11-26-2009, 04:19 PM
As long as the markers remain uniform in color and luminance you should be fine with blue ones. I had a shot to work on recently where the tape had started to peel, leaving shadows under each marker that were difficult to deal with in the keying process.

As far as the color for the tracking software, as long as there is sufficient contrast in at least one channel, you shouldn't have too much trouble. I tracked a shot recently that had light green tape on a green screen, and PFTrack tracked it flawlessly.

TomThumb
11-26-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't know if you want to spend the money on this, but it's still 30% off. This DVD set explains in GREAT detail how to do exactly what you are intending to to - and MANY other things as well. It's pretty much software agnostic, but really explains the concepts well and how best to do them.

http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/vfx_index.html

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2009, 08:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.