PDA

View Full Version : Help with Maya Texture Baking? (Convert to File Texture)

Feuyaer
11-26-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi.
I've been frustrated with this for many hours. I the rendering menu Hypershade in Maya, as you may know, there is the option to bake a texture to a file, selecting a surface and then materials.

I got this to briefly work weeks ago, but now it does no work. I'm making something for Second Life, and so need the material baked into a texture that will fit over the object I previously made.

Time and time again I find help topics, and they always say to do precisely what I already am doing. Or TRYING to do :)

I import my .obj, and make a few lights surrounding it.
Then I assign the object a Lambert material and it looks fine when I render a preview.

So I open Hypershade, click on my object, then click on "Lambert 2", the only material on my object (where's Lambert one auto-assigned every time? I never get Lambert ...).

With those two selected, I click Edit---> Convert to File Texture.

Now, in the past, this worked a few times, and generated my 1028x1028 .tiff image in a maya folder.

But here's my problem: Every single time, no matter how many times I re-open the project and try again, and no matter how many times I start new projects, make new objects, and set new lights, the images are always 100% black. Black is the default Background color in the "Convert the File Texture" menu box. One time I set the background to red, and, behold, the output image was just blank red.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I am selecting the only object, and selecting a single-colored Lambert material on it that is lit by a few lights that LOOK correct in the render preview.

It's just that nothing is going into the baked texture but the set background color.

(on a side note, I hope this is in an appropriate forum. I couldn't find a designated 'help' forum)

Thanks

Stonepilot
11-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Check your options, also try setting the resolution a bit lower. The only time i get black images is when it runs out of Ram and it just kicks out a black image. Try 512 see if that works

Feuyaer
11-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Check your options, also try setting the resolution a bit lower. The only time i get black images is when it runs out of Ram and it just kicks out a black image. Try 512 see if that works

Another problem I was having besides this were low-res images that sometimes spit out images that seemed to separate and display faces' textures aside from each other...which was odd. So I subdivided the hell out of it in zBrush after saving (only extremely low-poly models are able to be uploaded in Second Life), then lowered the resolution, and finally the output was a smooth texture that worked perfectly! Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2009, 07:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.