PDA

View Full Version : toxik discontinued?

mlager8
11-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I read somewhere that toxik and matchmover were included in maya 2010 because they are being halted in development, is this true? I've only used toxik minimally but it seems like solid software on par with combustion and shake and would be a shame to discontinue.

chuckie7413
11-25-2009, 04:33 PM
toxic is now called Maya Composite and is implemented into the Maya 2010 package.

pix3lm0nk
11-25-2009, 04:58 PM
still being developed.

leif3d
11-27-2009, 06:31 PM
still being developed.

Yeah, with the money that should be going to Maya...sigh...

pix3lm0nk
11-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Toxik's development has nothing to do with Maya's with regards to budgets. If they killed off Toxik, developers would either get laid off, or work on one of their other compositing apps, which would do nothing for Maya.

leif3d
11-27-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm not saying they'll stop development, but Toxik used to be 10K and Maya 5K.
Now combined, they have an income of $3500 along with matchmover.
Profit margins are getting tighter, that's all...hopefully they make up the revenue by selling more seats.

InfernalDarkness
11-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Interesting. I was curious if Toxik was still a separate application too. What if Max users wanted to use it? What if Softimage users needed it? I personally have never used it and don't do animation much, but figured if they had merged it with Maya wholesale, then other app-users might not be into it...

But if it was $10K, and now bundled with Maya it's a third the cost, then I'm sure other app-users wouldn't complain!

Buexe
11-27-2009, 10:45 PM
There is always room to complain, just try harder! ; )

Emil3d
11-27-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Toxik's development has nothing to do with Maya's with regards to budgets. If they killed off Toxik, developers would either get laid off, or work on one of their other composting apps, which would do nothing for Maya.I think it does affect Maya, when people buy Maya they also pay for the salaries of the Toxik developers. So if they get laid off either Maya will cost less or the money will be used for other development. I'm simply mentioning this from a financial point of view - I don't have an opinion if Toxik bundle is a bad thing.

pix3lm0nk
11-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I think it does affect Maya, when people buy Maya they also pay for the salaries of the Toxik developers. So if they get laid off either Maya will cost less or the money will be used for other development. I'm simply mentioning this from a financial point of view - I don't have an opinion if Toxik bundle is a bad thing.

For one, Maya will never get cheaper regardless of what happens to Toxik, SI, Max and so on. If they purged Toxik, Lustre and SI all at once, it wouldn't affect the price of their other applications. Besides, they'll probably start bundling Toxik w/Max and SI.

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2009, 04:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.