PDA

View Full Version : Texting blamed for summer movie flops

Array
08-19-2003, 10:38 PM
http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/news/story.jsp?story=434778

In other news, phones blamed for sagging cd sales.

erilaz
08-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Yeah... and what's stopping people just telling their friends in person AFTER the show?

Maybe it's just because some movies hold no interest with the general public and try to cover up a non-existent plot with eye-candy. It's been done like that for years!:surprised

You've already wasted $10 on a movie... why would you waste even more money to text a friend on how bad the movie you wasted your money on is?

That's my two cents. <-- It's always about the money, isn't it?

mjm
08-19-2003, 10:49 PM
Classic.

Next they'll be blaming previews for poor movie sales. Are movies supposed to be lotteries?

RobertoOrtiz
08-19-2003, 10:52 PM
So let me get this straight...
The fact that people are telling each other that a BAD move they just endured is a horrible experience is a bad thing??

Okkkay, so are they planning to request people sign NDA before they buy their tickets on the opening weekend?

-R

erilaz
08-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
So let me get this straight...
The fact that people are telling each other that a BAD move they just endured is a horrible experience is a bad thing??

Okkkay, so are they planning to request people sign NDA before they buy their tickets on the opening weekend?

-R

Hey... that's not a bad idea! Imagine the sales! (Note: Sarcasm!)

Since no one listens to reviewers, friends are all people have to go on. You KNOW what kind of movies your friends like. Texting is just a new focus of blame. Every new technology is blamed for something:
"TV rots your brains..."
"Computer games cause violence..."
"Mobiles cause cancer..."
"Texting causes the movie inudstry to go bankrupt and social disorder of the global economy..."

halo
08-19-2003, 11:33 PM
so mobiles will "hurt the little guy"

when are they going to just come out and say "crap films:the reason for bad sales"?

Sciatica
08-19-2003, 11:41 PM
I love this :)

"In the old days, there used to be a term, 'buying your gross,' " Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax, told the Los Angeles Times. "You could buy your gross for the weekend and overcome bad word of mouth, because it took time to filter out into the general audience."

Thank god for text messaging... Perhaps now, Hollywood will have to rely on making quality films to make money, instead of marketing and cash cows :D

Slurry
08-19-2003, 11:51 PM
So, what happens if they were to make a good movie...wouldn't people use the same technology to tell their friends it was good?
Kind of comes back to putting a good product on screen.

It's kind of disturbing that movie exec's are more worried that people are finding out that their films suck, rather than the fact the film sucks in the first place.

Interesting way of passing the buck though!

NickDW
08-19-2003, 11:57 PM
It seems like the Movie and Music industry are trying to find anything to blame thier lack of income on, except the crap they're putting out.

Next it'll be illeagel to take a cellphone / pager into a movie theatre.

Peter Reynolds
08-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Must refer to live action?

Or were there no 2D animators left to blame?

SheepFactory
08-20-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by NickDW
Next it'll be illeagel to take a cellphone / pager into a movie theatre.

I wish there was a rule like that , idiots speaking on the cellphone during the movie ruins it.

urgaffel
08-20-2003, 02:04 AM
Actually it wouldn't surprise me if the next step the studios take is force the cinemas to install cellphone scramblers or some sort of super dense concrete in the walls to stop the phones from connecting to a provider...

richcz3
08-20-2003, 02:58 AM
No these guys are smart. Sharp as knives see. They'll just up the prices all around. That will teach ya text messaging movie going snitcheroos.

This is more funny than the studio blaming a game for the Tomb Raider financial fiasco. The blamed the game's bugs for devestating the movies ticket sales.

richcz3

Valkyrien
08-20-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
I wish there was a rule like that , idiots speaking on the cellphone during the movie ruins it.

now let's take that one step further. Imagine for a moment that you're an actor in a play. You're in the middle of a rather sad scene, and a cell phone goes off. Takes a while for the person to figure out it's their phone, and when they do, they actually answer it to tell the other person they can't talk.:banghead:

this is why I ****ing hate cell phones.

I don't honestly give a shit when the movie execs don't make money because their movie sucks. i care when my entertainment or more importantly my work is so rudely interrupted;)

fig
08-20-2003, 06:05 AM
i figured it was the violence in video games causing summer box office drops, glad to see its text messaging instead... :rolleyes:

chris

psumo
08-20-2003, 09:26 AM
I dont think it has much to do with text messaging rather the faster spread of information via the internet and wonderful sites like rottentomatoes that have every review posted ahead of time.

There were some movies that I wanted to see. After visiting rotten tomatoes and reading all the reviews it made me not want to see those movies anymore.

the examples I can point out were

LXG
Charlie's Angels
bulletproof monk
bad boys II

all of which I wanted to see but didn't because of all the bad reviews

red_oddity
08-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Hmmm...in Holland we always get a message before the movie starts to turn off your cellphone...
I only had the experience once of a cellphone going of (not during a movie, but during a seminar/presentation of someone from Sony Imageworks (how they did Stuart Little 1/Maya presentation)), it couldn't get any worse, since after a couple of rings it turned out to be my cellphone....:blush:

Anyway...back to topic...
Movie execs have to get their heads out of their arses and stop thinking the entire movie going audience is as dumb as the plot of their movies (if any.).

You reap what you sow...plant shit...and get shit...

Joviex
08-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by red_oddity

You reap what you sow...plant shit...and get shit...

Typically, when I plant shit, I get "green"er grass. Maybe that is what Hollywood is thinking.

Clanger
08-20-2003, 12:23 PM
It seems to be fashionable to rubbish everything these days, I guess it's the safe option, if you stick your head out and say you actually liked a film before the masses give it their approval you run the risk of ridicule.
I think this is the main reason for film failier, very sad.
Thank God this trend hasn't spread to CGTalk, imagine if 90% of the Gallery posts got "that's crap" messages, people would soon stop posting.

Gentle Fury
08-20-2003, 12:53 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That is so awesome!!! This is one of the greatest excuses for the decline of quality cinema in years!!!! Text Messaging????????

WOW!! So what is the next option, in order to get people to watch shitty movies past the first showing are they going to get the MIB neurolizers so you forget the crap you just endured immediatly following, so you won't tell everyone else it sucked??

So basically what they are saying is, now that people can send a text message half way thru opening night of a bomb movie saying "dont waste your money is sux!!" that they are losing money????? So they are pissed that they are no longer able to throw half-assed atrocious movies on the public and swindle them out of the opening weekend before they go home and tell everyone not to waste their time.

And how can they blame the hulks 56% 2nd weekend on IM????? I would think an entire week is more than enough time to tell all your friends that had other plans to avoid it like the plague.....just like in the old days of word of mouth :)

They need to realize that all the awesome advertising in the world will NEVER replace word or mouth....and if said word of mouth travels faster now then ever, then you better not give the public a bad taste in their mouth!!

And as for people hating cell phones in theaters....that is completely off topic, as we are talking about text messages....which in my opinion is the most wonderfull thing that could have happened to movie goers.....they can have a conversation during a crappy movie and not disturb anyone elses 2:30 hour nap :)

JMulder
08-20-2003, 03:12 PM
I think the studios are way off base here. The decline in ticket sales isn't due to people hearing about bad movies faster, or to bugs in video games (a la Tomb Raider), rising ticket prices, the economy, or even to 2D animation.

The decline in ticket sales is due to the proliferation of air conditioning!!

Think about it...I remember when we used to go to the theatre just to cool off. Only after we got there did we decide what to watch. Now people (but not me, unfortunately :annoyed: ) have air conditioning in their homes. Why would anybody go to the theatre for something they've already got?

And, unfortunately, the studios can't win this one because "Nothing can stop a Trane".:buttrock:

Goon
08-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Lots of people outside of Colorado have had AC for decades, so I dont think thats a problem (I'm in Denver btw). Maybe your moping is the reason for the nationwide depression ;D

JMulder
08-20-2003, 04:16 PM
LOL!!

Cool, now I'm a scapegoat!! Quick, everybody, blame me! Maybe the studios will spend some time and money making me happy!!

..and my guidance counselor said I would never amount to much...:D

JooS-10
08-20-2003, 05:05 PM
The specific example they use in that article is Terminator 3, Ive read the interviews with the director and the rest, and I know that they were expecting it to be great. They worked very hard on that movie, incorperating full scale robotics and massive cg elements. They thought it was going to be the best terminator yet. I dont think that they were thinking, "OK, let us sell crap and make millions! YAY!"

pgp_protector
08-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by red_oddity
Hmmm...in Holland we always get a message before the movie starts to turn off your cellphone...
I only had the experience once of a cellphone going of (not during a movie, but during a seminar/presentation of someone from Sony Imageworks (how they did Stuart Little 1/Maya presentation)), it couldn't get any worse, since after a couple of rings it turned out to be my cellphone....:blush:

That's nothing :)

In Church someone had there Cellphone go off, and when the person pulled it out to talk, the Pastor came and went to talk on the phone explaning that they were In church and couldnt talk right now :D

rickmann
08-20-2003, 07:30 PM
I just have to add one thing mentioned earlier about the actual movie reviews. I myself certanly do not listen to reviews made by movie critics. I mean for example I remembered when Hudson Hawk came out, the movie critics said it was not even funny and it was the worst acting Bruce Willis had ever done. I myself thought the movie was funny as hell... the same goes for spaceballs, I pecently loved the movie but everyone esle hated.

My teacher even mentioned this morning that the really money maker in this business is screenplays and scripts and why.... because execs and producers have nothing new to come out with, all they do is take a car expolode it, with a guy or 2 dieing and call it a summer blockbuster.

I give it a :thumbsup: and :thumbsdow and 2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for all the people that have to suffer don't give up!!

BoydLake
08-20-2003, 07:47 PM
Nothing but excuses. :hmm:

Joviex
08-21-2003, 12:04 AM
When my movie hits the screen I am going to tell everyone that it only plays at 24fps, and we can't held accountable for that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.