PDA

View Full Version : My character distorts

Shack
11-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Hi. I binded a rig with controls and bones to my character mesh and everything is controlled the way I want it to except for one thing. Lets say I move the arm control around, it moves fine but it causes the mesh to distort. I do not mean the body gets all jumbled like from painting skin weights. The arm starts to tilt and become flat as i try to pose it. I am not stretching it, just trying to bring it down to the hip. The same happens for the head, I tilt it back and the head tries to flatten itself out.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I can post a pic if you guys don't get what I mean.

pritishd
11-25-2009, 12:43 AM
It would be cool if you post the ma file as people would have to see if you have done a setup wrong.

Shack
11-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Alright, I can try to get that up tomorrow. Anything I should check for before i do so? I basically separated the character into the limbs, body and head, then attached each to the corresponding joint. I really suck at character setups, I just want to be able to animate my own character :(

pritishd
11-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Cool. Just check whether you don't have a case of "double transformation", very common to hit during character setup. Try moving the whole rig by selecting the main/all/placement and see if the character moves ahead of the whole rig.

dragonlair81
11-25-2009, 07:34 AM
i would check to see if one of your parent nodes has an un even scale ( 1, .7, 1). If your scales are different in the top node then you probably will get some tweening in your child nodes when you move them.

Shack
11-25-2009, 10:46 PM
There doesn't appear to be any "double transformation" going on.

How can I check the parent nodes?

dragonlair81
11-26-2009, 03:22 AM
just check your top node. its probably a group or a curve. See if you have some wanky scale values.

Shack
11-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow, you're right! When I change the scale to an even integer it it doesn't get all funky when I move it. But now the character is all out of proportion and scaled along with the skeleton. Is there a way to fix it without messing up the character or do I have to re bind the joints to the limbs?

Darksuit
11-30-2009, 04:29 PM
personally. I would take the time to unbind the skeleton. Freeze the transforms (scale only). Then rebind. It might take you a bit more time, but the little extra effort is worth it.

What you may want to do is set the scale so that everything looks right. make sure that you bones are reset to your Bind position. Then delete history on your Mesh. This will lock the scale and remove the binding from the skin at the same time. For the mesh only. Then Freeze the transforms of the bones.

Make sure that you do not have any locked transforms on the bones first. Or you will get an error telling you that Maya can not freeze the transforms due to a locked attribute on a given joint. A simple quick fix if that does happen to you. Select all the bones and then select all your transforms in the channel box and then right click and select, "unlock selected" this should unlock everything in case you did miss something. There are of course many other ways to do this same thing.

Shack
11-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Alright, I will give that a try. Thanks for all you're help guys! I'll let you know if I get this to work.

Shack
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I am trying to unlock everything and it still wont allow me to freeze the transformations. Whether I grab one bone or the entire thing and unlock the scale, it continues to say that it is still locked.

Darksuit
11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
your script editor will tell you exactly what is locked, or preventing you from freezing transforms. Usually this is due to a locked rotation, or a skin cluster on a joint somewhere.

Shack
11-30-2009, 06:36 PM
I can see what is locked(the scale X). When I select it through the Outliner and unlock it, it still remains locked.

Shack
12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Anyone know if I might have messed something up?

royg
12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Anyone know if I might have messed something up?If it's of any use, I think you have.

Seriously though, instead of stabbing around in the dark trying to fix your problem(s) based on assumptions made by other people who haven't seen your file, why don't you just post your scene? It would make trouble shooting so much easier. Who knows what crazy things you've done?

Shack
12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
The file was too big to upload directly onto here so I uploaded it else where. Here is the download for the zip http://www.filefront.com/15080851/testRig.zip

I know I most likely set something up wrong, named it wrong or modeled incorrectly, so hopefully the rig can still be made to work. I used a tutorial for rigging up a character and resized the bones to try and fit this model. I was unable to freeze transformation because of some things still being locked and not allowing me to unlock. Thanks in advanced to anyone who can help me figure this out or is trying.

Darksuit
12-07-2009, 06:51 PM
File not found

Shack
12-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Weird. Try again, I am able to download it

http://www.filefront.com/thankyou.php?f=15080851&k=cd14f9633bd7479e6ee308b78049f028aa6a9ba234f797e65dcf8fcd28a2dd52

Shack
12-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Was anyone able to check out the file for me?

Darksuit
12-14-2009, 02:02 PM
most people won't download from fiel front as its can be heavily virus ridden at times. And most employment places won't even look twice if you ask them to download something from one of those locations. It's too much work. Getting a low cost web domain from go-daddy or lunapages or any number of places out there will save you a lot of time and hassle.

That said. I was able to get the file.

Darksuit
12-14-2009, 02:36 PM
After taking a look at this..

Please do not take this the wrong way. I am not trying to be harsh. I am just going through the model and noting somethings.

I can say that yes these are all Weighting Issues. Made worse by multiple meshes that have no reason for existing, along with way way way way way oh did I mention way too many vertices.

Also you have your Pole Vector Control Translation locked. This is what is causing your arm to rotate that you were discribing.

That said. You are just going to be fighting against this model for a while. You can certianly keep going at it, but there are some things that will certainly make your life much easier.

Remove Unseen Polygons. You have no less than 10 THOUSAND (10,000) polygons that will never be seen (Yes I counted). These are all Polygons that you have to weight and are still going to be rendered. That was only on 1 layer of pasted mesh. You have multiple copy and pasted meshes. Having a large polycount is fine but use your polygons wisely.

You do not have to smooth a mesh up to super high resolution to get a nice rounded surface. You can always average normals. There are a lot of ways to make things easier.

Another thing that you are going to be fighting against on this mesh is that when you did the smooth binding you have the max infulences set to 5. This number is the maximum number of bones that can modify or change a single vertex on your character. When you are just starting out you may want to keep the number to 2 or 3, and set your dropoff rate to 6 or 7.

I would suggest that you try building a low polygon count mesh to practice with for wieghting and rig setup.

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2009, 02:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.