PDA

View Full Version : Interpenetration!!!

brainycomp
11-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I keep getting interpenetration errors when dealing with active rigid bodies. When simulating a cracked object or two objects that are almost touching, I get tons of errors. This has been happening for a long time and can't seem to get around it. :banghead:

Is there a common technique when dealing with active rigid bodies to avoid this nightmare?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful. Thank you!

Wick3dParticle
11-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey Machotdog,

Depending on how you need to sim the cracked surface, one thing that you might find helpful is distributing different collision layers to your rigid objects.

I personally find myself straying away from Rigid Bodies and go more with Ncloth solutions.

Good luck,

~Ilan

brainycomp
11-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the quick response! nCloth sounds like a good idea but wouldn't it take longer than rigid bodies to simulate?

Wick3dParticle
11-24-2009, 07:12 PM
It really depends on your scene and how things are set up.

~Ilan

brainycomp
11-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah, i see what you mean. I started playing around with nCloth. A lot less trouble. Thanks for your help.

Wick3dParticle
11-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Your welcome!

I also mentioned in other threads here of a workflow I use. Basically combine all ur debri in to 1 poly object, and you can then apply 1 ncloth node to sim it. It wont work for every situation, but it might help speed yours up.

Best of luck.

~Ilan

DynamicBoy
11-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Maya rigid bodies are not dessigned for fracture, just for simple collisions. I reccomend you to try the pulldownit plugin, it is explicitily designed for fracture so it handles interpenetration by default, there is a free version.

brainycomp
11-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Hey, yeah I heard about that. Sounds amazing. Unfortunately, it's not available for mac just yet. :cry:

I wish I had my old PC right about now...

Thanks

DynamicBoy
11-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Pulldownit for Mac is definetively in our plans, but I cannot tell you a release date yet.

Meanwhile I reccomend you to dual your computer with both Mac and Windows, since mac uses intel processors this is absolutly possible, do you know bootcamp?

brainycomp
11-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Boot camp sounds good but I don't own a copy of windows and I hear if you don't have a 64 bit vista or windows 7, you can't get 64-bit performance out of the software.

Not sure if I can spend the money just yet...

You said "is definitively in our plans"....is Pulldownit your product? If so...do you have at least a general time frame of when it might be available for mac?

Would you be releasing any pre-release versions for testing on macs?

Thanks!!
Mike

DynamicBoy
11-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Yes Im developper at Thinkinetic, you are right you would need win 64 to get out all the performance in your machine.

I cannot tell you a release date yet for pulldownit Mac OS, probably before summer, there will be a free version available as in windows.

brainycomp
11-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Thought you were :)

Thanks! I definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Mike

vancliff
12-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Is there any plans for a maya 2010 x64 version yet?

DynamicBoy
12-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Pulldownit pro for Maya 2010 is available since september, if you refers to the free version it will be released also at some moment of the first quarter next year, take a lookl in our forum from time to time, it will be announced there.

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2009, 12:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.