PDA

View Full Version : Realistic MR Wine Shader

Rickmeister
11-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Currently I'm working on a VFX shot for a school film. The shot is about wine freezed in mid-air. We've made a mesh in Realflow, but we are getting stuck with the texture side of things. We just can't figure out how to properly do it.

We've searched the Internet, asked several knowledgeable teachers, but no working answer to be found. So I turn to CGtalk in hope to find a answer.

We can't get our wine material to absorb the light. From my understanding where the wine mesh is thicker, the wine should look darker, and where the wine mesh is very thin it should look more pink/transparent. At one point, with a dielectric material, it did something like it but the brightest color was always red and not pink or almost transparent. To point out what I mean I've added the picture below. Does anybody know how to achieve this? Or could someone point me into the direction of a good tutorial?

http://nfta.ikbenrick.nl/Wine.jpg

Thanks in advance!

tostao_wayne
11-24-2009, 09:39 AM
use a mia_material_X
and in the advanced refraction tab, activate "use max distance" and "use color at max distance", after that specify the max distance (depth) and the color that you want at that distance

tostao_wayne
11-24-2009, 10:13 AM
also, you must to use translucency to get the wine color with backligth

here i have upload a wine shader with max distance and translucence (it's not a Rioja):

http://fullblownimages.servebeer.com/shaderlibrary/

Rickmeister
11-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks! Though it looks like the file is created with Maya 2010. Is it possible to save it so I can open it in Maya 2009?

tostao_wayne
11-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks! Though it looks like the file is created with Maya 2010. Is it possible to save it so I can open it in Maya 2009?

Sorry, i have maya 2010.
You must to edit the .ma file with a text editor and change all the references to 2010 at the begining of the file to maya 2009. and the reference to MR to the MR version that you have.

i have upload a new shader called Red_Wine, more dark, the previus one was more like a lambrusco. to get the desired rasult, you must to tune the max distance, the color at max distance and the translucency color.

Cheesestraws
11-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Sorry, i have maya 2010.
You must to edit the .ma file with a text editor and change all the references to 2010 at the begining of the file to maya 2009. and the reference to MR to the MR version that you have.

Or just turn on "Ignore File Version" in the file open preferences.

tostao_wayne
11-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Or just turn on "Ignore File Version" in the file open preferences.

Great!! i didn't know it

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2009, 01:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.