PDA

View Full Version : Animated Procedural Sculptures

ConsoleArtist
11-24-2009, 06:23 AM
I have recently finished a series of animations that involve procedurally displaced geometry. They are very abstract so I hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALCtL2wrBnw

Dets
11-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Really nice animations!

Which programs did you use?
Are these realtime displaced surfaces or offline?

bloodframe
11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Interesting. But I noticed some flickering is it render related or displacemnt issue (or maybe youtube compression issue) ?

ConsoleArtist
11-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks,

I used Mental Ray/Maya so they are offline renders. Most of the image noise is due to the combination of my FG sampling as well as MP4 compression. The renders use no lights whatsoever -just IBL, AO, and fresnel values. Each frame is 1 pass -all of the AO/etc was composited in at the shader level.

I may render this out to HD720 resolution and if so I will pump up my FG samples and filter values to help reduce the noise -but the render times are absolutely crazy like this -thinking possibly a month to render clean. I have another thread covering still images here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=672290

cheers

bloodframe
11-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the info. I also tought it would probably be the samples. I remember seening your images a while ago and I was quite amazed :) nice work!
I have one more question, do you have control over the rhythm/tempo/speed of the displacement changes for different parts of the object or one as a whole ?

ConsoleArtist
11-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Thank you for the info. I also tought it would probably be the samples. I remember seening your images a while ago and I was quite amazed :) nice work!
I have one more question, do you have control over the rhythm/tempo/speed of the displacement changes for different parts of the object or one as a whole ?

You are welcome. I usually have a blunt form of control over the visuals. I generally take procedural values and remap them into the parameters of other procedurals creating a chain effect of sorts. The end result will be a displacement value for an object.

As for controlling the rythm, temp, speed, etc thats pretty easy since I am using simple keyframe values to animate parameters and the scale of displacement. Sometimes I will scale the displacements with another procedural so pretty much anything is possible.

It is all pretty much experimental and trial & error

veljko-lemonade
11-27-2009, 07:50 AM
cool stuff, but more effort in the editing, camera angles, closeups and stuff like that would really bump it to another level

surreal-reality
11-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Very cool sir!

I'm a huge fan of doing things with math, saves time, and repetition and usually gets different results each time if intended so.

how did you get the faces to be all separate? just hardening normals do that?

I've had "problems " with that before, and I think it was that some edges remained hard.

what kind of textures do you use? what parameters work well for you?

well done!

Lucas

ConsoleArtist
11-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Very cool sir!

I'm a huge fan of doing things with math, saves time, and repetition and usually gets different results each time if intended so.

how did you get the faces to be all separate? just hardening normals do that?

I've had "problems " with that before, and I think it was that some edges remained hard.

what kind of textures do you use? what parameters work well for you?

well done!

Lucas

Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed this,

I am honestly not quite sure the exact reason my models split when using hard normals but this has something to do with each vertice storing multiple normal vectors when they are hard. Vertices with hard normals are actually several vertices -one for each normal so perhaps when I place a 3D volumetric procedural it affects each one differently thus the model going off into different directions.

In terms of standard material textures, I don't use any. The color/value is derived from a plain white material (mib lambert)*Final Gather(IBL) *AO +fresnel(for a fake rim light). What you are seeing is just pure lighting done through my shader network with no textures multiplied in.

Sometimes, when I use actual lights, I will use an Oren-Nayar material but there is never a texture used unless for the displacement itself.

cheers

surreal-reality
11-27-2009, 11:07 PM
interesting about the vert normals, that does make alot of sense though. that way a normal never changes in definition, they just add more vert's to give the hard edge look... or something like that.

Sorry I wasn't clear about the texturing thing, I was curious if you used image maps, or procedurals for the displacement map.

Someone earlier said something about controlling it with music,

that would be very cool indeed.

I know in maya I've managed to import a .wav file and (I don't remember now) really easily link decible value or volume or whatever maya calls it to the y scale value of a cube.

it basically resulted in a very energetic cube in y.

but I think it would be quite simple, once you know what node to connect to what, and what value's to connect in the connection editor.

anyways, good stuff!

Lucas

ConsoleArtist
11-28-2009, 11:12 PM
interesting about the vert normals, that does make alot of sense though. that way a normal never changes in definition, they just add more vert's to give the hard edge look... or something like that.

Sorry I wasn't clear about the texturing thing, I was curious if you used image maps, or procedurals for the displacement map.

Someone earlier said something about controlling it with music,

that would be very cool indeed.

I know in maya I've managed to import a .wav file and (I don't remember now) really easily link decible value or volume or whatever maya calls it to the y scale value of a cube.

it basically resulted in a very energetic cube in y.

but I think it would be quite simple, once you know what node to connect to what, and what value's to connect in the connection editor.

anyways, good stuff!

Lucas

I will definitely explore using sound as it would fit in nicely with what I like to toy around with. I will be looking at plug-ins on the net and hope to find an actual shader node that uses it as an input in some form.

I do on rare occasions use a texture map for displacements although not on any one of the sculptures in my movie. I will use a standard 24 bit image as a mask blend between procedurals or as a method of remapping one of its parameters.

When creating an actual texture for the displacement(as opposed to blending/masking etc) I derive it from actual 3D geo so that it can retain a 32 bit floating point format. Displacements really need to be in a 32-bit float format to retain fidelity and procedurals do this naturally.

Being that sampled music probably won't be 32-bit float I would utilize it as a mask/blend or as a parameter input value for another procedural.

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2009, 11:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.