PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Reel

PaperTurtle
11-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Hello, here is my rigging reel.

http://www.cgrigs.com/demoreel.html

or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvR9-0lo0Nw

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yoA1am9oSo&)

EricDLegare
11-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Pretty nice diversity of rig types and softwares used.

:cool:

mrtprodz
11-24-2009, 02:00 PM
This is impressive, loved the UFO and loved the bug script for the feet to animate properly.
Nice reel! (some music would have been great tho :D )

PaperTurtle
11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping to get a job in games but being a recent graduate I know it is hard to get into. I'm open to suggestions on how I can better sell myself or what I should work on.

EricDLegare
11-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping to get a job in games but being a recent graduate I know it is hard to get into. I'm open to suggestions on how I can better sell myself or what I should work on.

Whut ? This is a STUDENT REEL ? Wow then it's amazing ! No doubt you will get a job :applause:

bloodframe
11-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Some very nice rigs you got there! Good luck on the job hunt :thumbsup:

BubaBrown
11-24-2009, 08:06 PM
This is really cool rigging reel! Good luck with the job.
Just one question regarding facial rig: how did you set up on face controlers? They follow the blendshapes but at the same time deform the face, so there has to be some trick to solve dependency cycle, right?

mrtprodz
11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Whut ? This is a STUDENT REEL ? Wow then it's amazing ! No doubt you will get a job :applause:

I ditto that and remain speechless :applause::applause:

PaperTurtle
11-24-2009, 11:25 PM
They follow the blendshapes but at the same time deform the face, so there has to be some trick to solve dependency cycle, right?

You are exactly right about this setup possibly creating a dependency cycle. For my face rig the mesh is actually deformed with joints and layered groups. I did use blendshapes but as means of separating the finer controls from the jaw joints. This rig can be done without blendshapes. Having a script to manage the various groups and set driven keys can be extremely useful and time saving.

I've seen facial rig setups that use hair follicles that allow the user to track the points on a mesh. I believe part of this setup did require some kind of inverse translation nodes. I'm not really sure of the specifics on how to build this rig with follicles.

exhibitx
11-25-2009, 03:04 AM
You are exactly right about this setup possibly creating a dependency cycle. For my face rig the mesh is actually deformed with joints and layered groups. I did use blendshapes but as means of separating the finer controls from the jaw joints. This rig can be done without blendshapes. Having a script to manage the various groups and set driven keys can be extremely useful and time saving.

I've seen facial rig setups that use hair follicles that allow the user to track the points on a mesh. I believe part of this setup did require some kind of inverse translation nodes. I'm not really sure of the specifics on how to build this rig with follicles.

There is a way to avoid cycle. Instead of using follicles for this setup. You could use the Muscle -> rigging bonus tool -> surface attach to attach a locator onto a face of a polygon. Make sure you break connection on all the rotations and orient constraint it wit a head joint or jaw joints whichever work out best for you. And lastly.. you hit it on the head with the inverse node. Make sure you group a controller onto itself twice or three times. the use expressions to take the translation of the controller and pass it negatively to its parent, in this case would be the group node. Hope my explaination make sense. Im very poor at this lol.

oh yea... awesome reel by the way. good luck on your job hunt!

PaperTurtle
11-25-2009, 05:18 PM
There is a way to avoid cycle. Instead of using follicles for this setup. You could use the Muscle -> rigging bonus tool -> surface attach to attach a locator onto a face of a polygon. Make sure you break connection on all the rotations and orient constraint it wit a head joint or jaw joints whichever work out best for you. And lastly.. you hit it on the head with the inverse node. Make sure you group a controller onto itself twice or three times. the use expressions to take the translation of the controller and pass it negatively to its parent, in this case would be the group node. Hope my explaination make sense. Im very poor at this lol.

oh yea... awesome reel by the way. good luck on your job hunt!

Thanks fore sharing. I didn't know about surface attach. I tried playing with this. I'm not sure I understand how to get the tranformation data from the attache surface locator to the controller groups without causing a a cycle.

exhibitx
11-25-2009, 06:40 PM
let me make a screen capture of this and I'll link you since there are a few small detail that must be follow to make it work. I don't want to turn your thread into a discussion thread.

BubaBrown
11-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Really interesting information about on face controlers. I was aware of the method of "fake" blendshapes using fully bones-rigged face. The breaking connections using special nodes seems really interesting as well.

dotEff
11-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Amazing work there~ Really love the scripting that speeds up animation like the centipede and the tyre threads. :applause:

PaperTurtle
12-01-2009, 09:43 PM
let me make a screen capture of this and I'll link you since there are a few small detail that must be follow to make it work. I don't want to turn your thread into a discussion thread.

I don't mind if this thread turns into a discussion thread.

I think I figured out how to have manipulators that track the blendhsape. The way I got it working was by using a third blendshape. The blendshapes all deform base Shape A. Base shape A acts as a blendshape for another baseshape, we'll call it base Shape B. Using the surface attach on the Base Shape A to track the location. We then take those values and start plugging them into the manipulator groups. I made 4 groups but this could be reduced depending on preference. Parent most group is to pickup the garbage values for translate etc. (this may not be necessary) The lowest group takes the values of the surface attach multiplied by negative 1 using an expression. The group above this will be the user controlled manipulator. The group above the manipulator will get the positive values of the surface attach using an expression. And that's it...

I hope I got it correct, what you were trying to explain. It seems to work with my tests.:)

exhibitx
12-02-2009, 05:32 AM
https://quang3d.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58:on-face-controls&catid=36:rigging-tutorials&Itemid=62

the above link will take you to my tutorial page where I've made a video on how I got this to work.

ofn
12-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Impresive ! a very cool rigging .
i like the controllers so much .
well done.

Richardyzo
12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Great facial rig deformations, very smooth!
What I liked most was the dettachable UFO, that's really interesting! Very fun to watch :)

Nice centipede solution, the path thing is a really creative way to control it! Good luck on your job hunt!

PaperTurtle
12-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the comments. :)

https://quang3d.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58:on-face-controls&catid=36:rigging-tutorials&Itemid=62

the above link will take you to my tutorial page where I've made a video on how I got this to work.

I got some time to check this out. Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2009, 02:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.