PDA

View Full Version : 3D Generalist reel

TorbjornO
11-23-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi,

I am currently in between jobs after a 9 month stint at Blur Studio doing mostly FX work but also a bit of lighting. Been looking around to see what's out there, and it seems most places aren't ramping up until January (or I am not connecting with the right people/studios). I've been doing 3D for 13 years professionally (16 years if you count when I first started doing 3D and did small website jobs in return for access to software). I'm proefficient in 3ds max, Maya, Digital Fusion, Nuke, After FX, Zbrush and various plugins for each software. I am not too fond of doing FX unless it's for a shorter term job.

Would be great if you had a look:

http://www.tobbeo.net/nov8.html

Streaming up!:

http://www.vimeo.com/7806242

http://i45.tinypic.com/wpdg6.jpg

Some of the stills get a bit compressed but you can see some of them on my website.

http://www.tobbeo.net/

Hope you like it!

HyMz
11-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Very impressive reel you have there, enjoyed watching it

AG3D
11-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Awesome....nothing more to say.

aleksandar
11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Awesome work. How long have you been in the industry?

TorbjornO
11-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks guys! Being inbetween jobs isn't fun so the encouragement is always nice. It seems January everything will pick up here.

HyMz: Thanks!

Anthony: Thanks man! I saw your Unreal stuff. I love gaming as well and I've done quite a bit of work for Unreal3 games but never a full level like you. Would love to re-install it one day and attempt to make a level. Yours is looking good!

aleksandar: Thanks! I've been in the industry for 13 years now. My first proper job was in 1996 on half CG half live action TV-series. I did websites before then but I don't count that. I got a little bit of money from it and gained access to 3D software which was great. Btw, your energy plant image is very nice. Good concept!

I appreciate all your comments!

mrtprodz
11-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Amazing reel with an amazing track (I love Sigur Rós:P )

Fantastic collection of work, you worked on great projects, congratulations :thumbsup:

TP
11-24-2009, 10:58 AM
WOW, amazing amazing reel , very impressive work, enjoyed every minute , Top notch :buttrock: :bowdown:

Silverwing
11-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow. This was a very long reel... but you had to show a lot of pieces. Amazing pieces!
You works are really top notch! Good luck to you finding the job you´re looking for! I expect you shoudn´t have much of a problem finding one with this great reel!

Thumbs up!

Cheers Silverwing

kiittea
11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Fantastic Stuff, working for Blur sums up all you've got :) Great work. Good luck with your job hunt

TorbjornO
11-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

I finally managed to get my demo reel up on Vimeo! Here it is:

http://www.vimeo.com/7806242

And here are my replies:

kiittea: Thanks! Blur is definitely a talented company and I know they are very popular here. But there are also lots of other great studios out there with top artists!

Silverwing: You have some very realistic stuff in your portfolio! I really liked your lightbulb and the attention to detail on the rings (like the little scratches on the stainless steel!

TP: Thank you! It's really nice when someone takes time out of their day to look at your stuff and compliment it. I was going to give you some feedback on your car but I wasn't sure if you wanted it. Good work though and keep it up!

MistaT: I'm a huge fan of Sigur Ros! I used this song for my previous reel I was thinking of switching it up this time, but I still like it too much and it's a perfect balance of something "indie" and something a lot of artists would appreciate I think. I looked at your Tim Roth portrait and while it doesn't look like him it does look like a creepy assassin! I've been focusing on organic modeling lately. Being at Blur helped me understand setting up nice skin shaders, but anatomy and figuring out what makes someone look like they do take a lot of work. Sze Jones who is known for (other than being a great Blur artist) doing tutorials for Gnomon spends so much time finessing her faces when she needs to match someone's looks. It's really inspiring to see the dedication and patience it takes (and hours). I think you are on your way to be a great character modeler if you keep it up!

kiittea
11-25-2009, 11:18 PM
I agree with you Olsson, It was my great admiration for the work and artists at Blur which made me say that :)

veljko-lemonade
11-27-2009, 07:48 AM
brilliant !
so much great stuff there...

Baldasseroni
12-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Excellent stuff :)

freeflow
12-17-2009, 06:42 AM
wow! it's something neat...i'm sure your job hunt wont last much

DSedov
12-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Excellent stuff! I see your intention to show just about everything that you think is worth showing, but for potential employer, it has some boring moment. I'd suggest to put any still and commercial work at the end of the reel, and show kick-@ss movie stuff in the beginning.

far
12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
very cool work, good luck :)

BigDaddy
12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Very nice demoreel! Impressive work!

And i like the song „Saeglopur”! I will visit the iTunes store after that post :D

Pug288
12-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Awesome reel, cut it to a minute and a half though I'd say, companies just don't have the time to sit there and watch it all. Plus alot of it is the same sort of things and you could just use the best shots and just name the numerous projects you have work on at the interview stage or on your cv. well done though, you'll be fine.

CHRiTTeR
12-17-2009, 03:21 PM
even though it was verry long for a reel, it was great. A real pleasure to watch.

You have a great vision and great style in excecuting it.

5 stars

eek
12-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Stunning reel! - I'd say two things:

Firstly you have a LOT going on in that reel, modelling, photography character animation, effects work, comp. Its all pretty damn solid too which is excellent. I'd say focus on exactly what you want to work in. Keep this reel as a general 'you' overall reel such as a company reel but break it into areas of expertise in smaller reels such as character animation, modeling, comp - hell you've pretty much got a reel for most areas of cg production there!

Secondly theres not enough hang time for you're note at the end - I'm not sure if you should really just put credits, music by, at the end and keep a mission statement about yourself in resume form.

Nice work, none the less :)

Charles

P.S Awesome work what you did on the Dragon Age Cinematic's, I was the technical animation lead on the project.

nightE89
12-17-2009, 04:27 PM
dude simply amazing. very inspirational work here my friend

Abazaba
12-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow. I know its too long/varried for a job reel. But I think its flat out awesome. You dont get to see too many reels encompassing such a long career. I'd hire you.

alaa-afifah
12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
that is wonderful you are astonishing
keep...up

alaa-afifah
12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
that is wonderful you are astonishing
keep...up

instruct9r
12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Insane :bowdown:

great reel!

shivmoo
12-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow dude, nice stuff!!!
gd luck job hunting!

Imatk
12-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Inspiring stuff man :)

denic
12-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I won't even try to find a job if you can't find it! :)

TorbjornO
12-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Wow, thank you all very much for replying. It was really nice to wake up and read all your comments and constructive criticisms.

I have been freelancing the last few days so it was nice to get some work in before Christmas. I was sad that I missed the "Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland" train as everyone had already hired who they needed after my work at Blur ended. I hear they are all crunching very hard to meet the deadline in January.

The length of the reel is something I knew would come up and it's something I've thought about and talked with my friends in the industry about. I came to the conclusion to keep it as is for a number of reasons. In my experience though, I feel most places have appreciated my reel and its different disciplines. Can't remember getting a complaint about it, or even a joke, from a prospective studio but maybe I just don't hear about it? More times than not I feel that I've gotten "ah, you can do this too? that's great because we could really use that on the next project" responses. I guess it all depends on a number of factors for any given studio.

One thing I'd like to do which was mentioned is to turn the stills I have into animations. For an example, I have a skull I modeled on my reel but it's done as just a default Z-brush turntable. I'd like to turn those into more presented pieces (same length, maybe shorter). So I did this skull presentation render that I just need to render out more frames of that will replace the turntable:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2akjyag.jpg

So a short camera animation of this will replace the Z-brush preview turntable. I'll probably trim it and Eek, I hear you about the mission statement at the end. I'm going to think about what to do with that, to keep or leave it. Through my career I've noticed a lot of studios just skim through your mission statement, scan your resume and mostly just pay attention to your work. If you've worked with someone in the past, that's always a big plus. That's why it can unfortunately be a bit hard for people who don't know a lot of people yet to get a job.

Enough rambling, thanks again for your responses, very nice of you all!

Innovator
12-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Fantastic Reel! Many parts of it just blew my mind.

A couple of small crits. A lot of talk has been about shortening the length of the reel and I gotta say I agree whole heartedly with that. I really like Eek's idea to keep this as your general reel but maybe edit down a couple more focused reels out of all the work you have here. You have plenty of excellent material for a modeling/texturing reel as well as an FXcompositing reel (not to mention possibly a third for all your photography/HDR work).

And lastly, the only piece on that entire reel that I would cut is the model of the male torso. Its not that there is anything wrong with the model, but it is a very static piece in an otherwise dynamic reel. If you keep it I would suggest atleast a turntable animation or just pan the still slowly to give it some movement.

But all that is being nit-picky... I really enjoyed watching the reel and I have no doubt you'll be able to land a job soon! Good luck!

TorbjornO
12-18-2009, 02:22 AM
Far: Thanks! I liked the stuff in your portfolio!

BigDaddy: Yeah I love that song and the band Sigur Ros :). Thanks!

CHRiTTeR: Thanks!

nightE89: Thanks!!

Abaza: Thanks! You guys do great stuff over there at third floor. Some awesome stuff for great projects!

alaa-afifah: Thanks man!

instruct9r: Thanks :)

shivmoo: Thanks!

Imatk: Thanks!!

Denic: Thank you :), but I think it's this time of the year. It's just been a tough month for me, and I know it has been for other very experienced artists. Just before Christmas is tough but it doesn't stop the bills :).

Innovator: Yeah, like the Skull there are items I'd like to present a bit more interesting.

Pug288, Innovator:The length of the reel is not something that has been a hindrance in the past and despite the general rule of thumb of 2-3 minute reel I believe hiring someone is a big step and seeing what they are capable of not only shows you other sides of what you can offer but it also gives you more information about the artist you are considering.

It all depends on the person who is viewing your reel and his stance on the subject. I mentioned it in my previous post but I can't remember a prospective studio complaining but then I also realize I might not hear about it.

Having said that, I do believe I can trim it a bit and still keep everything I want to show. Having a couple of focused reels alongside the general reel is a very good idea.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it. :)

Sycar
12-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Thank you for posting! You reminded me why I do this. I am in between jobs too :banghead: but your work has inspired me to keep trying and I love the way you present your work showing exactly what you did not just whole movie trailers. Thanks again!

oh and personally I like the long reel

TyroneMaddams
12-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Oh snap, awesome work !!!

Great job man, congrats on the top row too :)

- Ty

Nothingness
12-19-2009, 02:39 PM
All I can say is WOW,
you are are true great generalist!

I think i have a new hero in life.

TorbjornO
12-22-2009, 07:59 AM
TyroneMaddams: Thanks man! I dig your stuff too. You work with Ben Malter don't you? Him and me worked together for a while at Animal Logic. Great guy! I think I am getting my Ty's mixed up but you are not Tyrone from Mad Academy and AL that I know?

Sycar: Thanks! I am a big fan of letting people know directly on my reel what I did in each shot. Every so often I come across reels that have all these amazing shots in them but they don't explain what they did, either on the reel or on a separate paper, and then it makes it hard to really know what they did.

Nothingness: Thanks for the over the top compliment ;).

underearth
12-23-2009, 10:49 AM
wonderfully reel.. i already watched it two times.. music greatly compliment ur reel... can u tell me who's the artist..

really lovely reel..

TorbjornO
12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks! :)

Artist is Sigur Rós and both the album and the song is called Sćglópur. Great artist, great band!

skull5005
12-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Omg! Did you make the dragon in that Dragon Age: Origins trailer?

TorbjornO
12-27-2009, 11:02 PM
skull5005: No, I didn't. One of the great modelers at Blur made it. I was focusing on the FX. Perhaps you can't read it in the Vimeo version if you don't look at it in HD, but I wrote on each shot what I did. Thanks for looking :).

TyroneMaddams
12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
TyroneMaddams: Thanks man! I dig your stuff too. You work with Ben Malter don't you? Him and me worked together for a while at Animal Logic. Great guy! I think I am getting my Ty's mixed up but you are not Tyrone from Mad Academy and AL that I know?

Sycar: Thanks! I am a big fan of letting people know directly on my reel what I did in each shot. Every so often I come across reels that have all these amazing shots in them but they don't explain what they did, either on the reel or on a separate paper, and then it makes it hard to really know what they did.

Nothingness: Thanks for the over the top compliment ;).

Hey!! Yeah i sure do work with Ben Malter, hes our lighting lead/shader man, hes the man, awesome guy to work with, such a nice guy huh! Hes mentioned you before, thats why when i saw your post i was like OH YEAH

I'm not sure who the Ty from Mad Academy and AL is but i want to meet him! I'm a different one

Again man great work :)

- Ty

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.