PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Effect renders soft...

brainycomp
11-22-2009, 06:36 PM
So...I've got a great fluid explosion BUT when rendered, it seems a bit soft. :cry:

I've played with the resolution and frequency settings to sharpen it up but it hasn't made a difference. I'm not sure where to go from here.

if anybody has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

tokanohanna
11-23-2009, 01:41 AM
Can you share your settings, along with a render.

jupiterjazz
11-23-2009, 03:37 AM
So...I've got a great fluid explosion BUT when rendered, it seems a bit soft. :cry:

I've played with the resolution and frequency settings to sharpen it up but it hasn't made a difference. I'm not sure where to go from here.

if anybody has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

You can creae detail with the built in texturing.

p.

brainycomp
11-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Sorry, I'm actually away from my computer for a few days so I won't be able to render out an image or get a hold of my settings. :sad:

What about built-in texturing?

I chose to go with the SpaceTime texture. I've tried the other textures too but they don't really make a difference.

Is that what you're talking about?

jupiterjazz
11-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Well, first of all the description of your problem was itself a bit "soft". You could have attached an image for example.
Anyway, what I understood is that when you render the look is soft, meaning "you don;t see much detail".

Hence I suggested you to use the built-in fluid texturing capabilities (attributes: texture color, texture opacity, texture incandescence etc...) which will add some detail (read: noise) in the fluid simulation without the need to simulate many voxels. If you simulate many voxels and there is some turbulence in the fluid you don't need the built-in texturing capability, look here:

http://www.jupiter-jazz.org/software/

(this fireball - originally an example from Duncan - uses only grids and no fluid texturing, but the solve is highly detailed: many voxels).

Just for kicks, keep in mind that with Maya Fluids there are two ways to proceed:

* grid-based fluids [can be with or without texturing]
* shading only fluids (no grids) [with heavy use of texturing]

Many examples in Visor's Maya fluids example tab are shading only, look for afternoon clouds for instance.

P.

Sorry, I'm actually away from my computer for a few days so I won't be able to render out an image or get a hold of my settings. :sad:

What about built-in texturing?

I chose to go with the SpaceTime texture. I've tried the other textures too but they don't really make a difference.

Is that what you're talking about?

brainycomp
11-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for your suggestions!!! It all makes more sense now.

If I decide to go with using a texture, is it possible to use one that isn't already built-in? Like, can I make my own? If so, how would I go about doing this?

jupiterjazz
11-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for your suggestions!!! It all makes more sense now.

If I decide to go with using a texture, is it possible to use one that isn't already built-in?

Well you can texture any texturable attribute in the AE of the fluidsShape.

Like, can I make my own? If so, how would I go about doing this?

I'd suggest you to try before asking.

P.

brainycomp
11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Okay, thanks.

andymoorer
11-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Also be aware that the diffusion attribute results in what you may call "softening," by spreading the fluid out to neighboring voxels. Use low values or no diffusion and see if your look improves.

brainycomp
11-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Thank you! :thumbsup:

I think that's been the problem..diffusion.

mandark1011
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
another place to look would be your opacity falloff ramp. for dense and textured sims use a sharp falloff to help the texture really come out.

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.