PDA

View Full Version : fluid hardware render bug? - outlines visible

alexx
08-19-2003, 03:23 PM
ok.. i really dont know where to put this question.. could be in rendering as well..

see the following image:

http://bigott.gmxhome.de/pics/cloudsBug.JPG

this is a hardware render of an extended fluid example (takes about 30 seconds to render first frame and then 5 seconds for all others).

the problem is: the outlines from the fluid containers always get rendered (which here is the black lines)

this is really stupid, because otherwise this would be the best way to render fly-through clouds very fast - faster than anything else...

anyone an idea on how to get rid of those lines? (prim vis, templating and so on does not help in hardware rendering)

cheers

alexx

stallion151
08-20-2003, 06:23 AM
under display of fluid shape node put Boundary Draw to None.

stallion151
08-20-2003, 06:33 AM
what quality settings do you have on that?
i can't get anywhere near the look you have.

alexx
08-20-2003, 08:08 AM
gnark... how could i be sooo blind :(

thanx a lot stallion.

basically that is just a slightly changed version of the example preset called "Faster Clouds.ma".

the resolution of the cloudLayer is changed to: 300/16/300

cheers & thanx again

alexx

alexx
08-20-2003, 08:09 AM
huh.. that above was my post #1000

cool :)

stallion151
08-21-2003, 04:55 AM
yeh i saw...lets party. :beer:

i tried that same scene and had 90 and it gave me a warning so i thought maybe i'll do whats best for maya and let it be....last time that happens......smooth*10

now. you should make a tut about really really really fast clouds.
make money lots.yah.

Jozvex
08-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Wow that's cool!

By hardware render do you mean by using the Hardware Renderer from Maya 5, or the Hardware Render Buffer?

Because I can only render fluids in the latter. :thumbsup:

stallion151
08-22-2003, 08:49 AM
it is the latter jozvex,

Jozvex
08-22-2003, 11:01 PM
Ok, just checking!

Hmm, a new question, I wonder if you can render using the Hardware Render Buffer from the command line?

That way you could set the fluid resolutions to be really high from the command line first, and Maya wouldn't have to die trying to display them...

stallion151
08-23-2003, 02:32 AM
sounds like a very good idea jozvex, be sure sure to tell us if you get it working. Looks like i'll be using fluids more now.

alexx
08-29-2003, 10:00 AM
i think all this is the reason why they invented the new hardware renderer that is batch-renderable.

in former times i tried a lot to get the old hardware render buffer to work on my renderfarm to render out playblasts..

i managed to get it to work with muster, that muster really opens maya on the render machines, loads the scenes and then renders them and afterwards closes maya again.
but all this is quite dumb, because you would basically need a full license for maya to make that on a huge farm.

the old hardware render buffer still takes screen grabs (as you can notice if you hardware render and another window pops up in front of it). so you wont be able rendering from the command line only.

but there comes the real question about all that:
why does the new hardware renderer not render those fluid clouds???

and stallion: concerning the warning when upping the resolution: they know why they do so.. :) maya really crashes fast, when you make it too high (closing without warning)

cheers

alexx

Jozvex
08-30-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by alexx
the old hardware render buffer still takes screen grabs (as you can notice if you hardware render and another window pops up in front of it). so you wont be able rendering from the command line only.

Duh Jozvex, I knew that!

Originally posted by alexx
but there comes the real question about all that:
why does the new hardware renderer not render those fluid clouds???

Exactly!! I'd like to know that too!

Calling all Duncan Brimsmead's! Can you answer that for us?

wmbf
08-31-2003, 07:29 AM
Could Fluid Effect rendered in hardware renderer? I always think that the fluid effect is a post process which can only be rendered in s/w renderer. Is it the new function in MAYA5?

At least in MAYA45, it's impossible. The display in the view is just help you to get a rough feeling about what you are doing then.

stallion151
08-31-2003, 12:46 PM
not in the hardware renderer only the software renderer and in the hardware buffer.

Jozvex
08-31-2003, 11:06 PM
And no it's not a post process.

The only post processes are Paint Effects, Fur, Shader Glow, Lens Flares/OpticalFX, Depth of Field and 2D Motion Blur as far as I know.

alexx
09-02-2003, 10:01 AM
ok.. i quite like the result of the clouds (nevermind the rest):

anim (http://bigott.gmxhome.de/movies/hardwareClouds.avi )

the clouds took about 4 seconds to render per frame (after the first one which takes about 30 seconds)

cheers & thanx again

alexx

edit:
just one thing to mention: the alpha channel that the hardware renderer produces is really not what i would expect it to be..
so here i rendered the clouds in front of green and keyed it in shake which produced the wanted result

stallion151
09-02-2003, 10:13 AM
c'mon man thats slack! you didn't animate the plane swishing the clouds. :p

looks pretty sweet!!! what alpha did you get when you rendered from HW?

alexx
09-02-2003, 10:42 AM
the customer did not pay for turbulating the clouds :)

the alpha i got from maya was way too transparent.

Jozvex
09-02-2003, 11:12 PM
I think I've read somewhere that using the Luminance option as the source of alpha gives better results.

Or is that what you used?

alexx
09-03-2003, 08:14 AM
i rendered with green background and used keylight to get the cool alpha :)

akewt
11-16-2005, 10:23 AM
didnt realise this was so old. sorry!

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2005, 10:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.