PDA

View Full Version : renderman for maya free? or Paint Effects with Mental Ray?

FalineFarwell
11-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Iv run into a bit of a problem with a scene Im working on. I need to render out paint effects but without converting them to polygons, because I need to use the modifier with them. I need to render the with mental ray. So is there a way to render paint effects without converting them in mental ray? Or is there a free version of renderman I could use (not eval) because I cant have water marks. I know renderman supports paint effects. Thanks

beaker
11-22-2009, 02:59 AM
paintfx uses it's own renderer. So in order to use them in any other 3d renderer, they have to be converted to polygons. No ways around it.

There isn't a free version of Prman that supports paintfx.

gashworm
11-22-2009, 03:19 AM
3delight offers a free licence and supports rendering paintfx in maya.
http://www.3delight.com

luxwork
11-22-2009, 03:24 AM
when you convert the pfx to polygons, make sure you keep the history on, then you can render animated pfx in mental ray just fine.
MD

Iv run into a bit of a problem with a scene Im working on. I need to render out paint effects but without converting them to polygons, because I need to use the modifier with them. I need to render the with mental ray. So is there a way to render paint effects without converting them in mental ray? Or is there a free version of renderman I could use (not eval) because I cant have water marks. I know renderman supports paint effects. Thanks

FalineFarwell
11-22-2009, 04:08 AM
// Error: The specified module could not be found.
(3delight_for_maya2009) //

I get this error when I tried to load the 3Delight Plugins, I tried in both maya 8.5 and 2009. Yes I did load the correct .mll

Mauritius
11-22-2009, 10:38 AM
// Error: The specified module could not be found.
(3delight_for_maya2009) //

I get this error when I tried to load the 3Delight Plugins, I tried in both maya 8.5 and 2009. Yes I did load the correct .mll

That usually means 3Delight itself is not installed correctly since this plugin depends on libdelight.so/.dll/.dylib to be found.

You should check the 3Delight forums (http://www.3delight.com/en/modules/PunBB/viewforum.php?id=4) for this issue. And don't forget to mention which platform you're on.

.mm

jupiterjazz
11-23-2009, 02:36 AM
paintfx uses it's own renderer. So in order to use them in any other 3d renderer, they have to be converted to polygons. No ways around it.

Not quite.
For example in 3Delight you can render them natively (they are rendered as RiCurves) so no need to convert to polygons. You can shade them 3D-like with custom shaders (or RenderMan code node).

As a side note, in Maya Grindhouse I (sigg08 masterclass) we showed (me and sergey tsyptsyn) a plugin that converts pfx into maya particles and shad with 3Delight custom shaders. It is distributed opensource at software.jupiter-jazz.org

P.

beaker
11-23-2009, 02:37 AM
very cool, good to know.

FalineFarwell
11-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Not quite.
For example in 3Delight you can render them natively (they are rendered as RiCurves) so no need to convert to polygons. You can shade them 3D-like with custom shaders (or RenderMan code node).

As a side note, in Maya Grindhouse I (sigg08 masterclass) we showed (me and sergey tsyptsyn) a plugin that converts pfx into maya particles and shad with 3Delight custom shaders. It is distributed opensource at software.jupiter-jazz.org

P.

Well as long as I can render the pfx with mental ray without converting them to poly. I cannot run maya with any pfx converted to poly because it slows my machine down too much. Thanks Ill check out grindhouse.

tostao_wayne
11-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Well as long as I can render the pfx with mental ray without converting them to poly. I cannot run maya with any pfx converted to poly because it slows my machine down too much. Thanks Ill check out grindhouse.

Turn the polymesh into bounding box display and make visible again the pfx

FalineFarwell
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Turn the polymesh into bounding box display and make visible again the pfx

Can you give me a step by step on how to do that?

tostao_wayne
11-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Can you give me a step by step on how to do that?

.-Select the PFX.
.-Convert it to polygons but with the hide Strokes option unchecked.
.-Select the result polymesh or the polymesh group, and in the Display menu: Display->Object display->Bounding Box

ytsejam1976
11-23-2009, 03:47 PM
on conversion don't check hide strokes. After select your poly mesh and ins in a layer in bounding box.

ops, sorry tostao, i'm post in the same time of you.

pix3lm0nk
11-23-2009, 05:11 PM
yeah if it's for a single scene, I don't think spending the time learning 3Delight is the way to go. Wayne knows what he's talking about w/Mental Ray.

FalineFarwell
11-23-2009, 07:07 PM
yeah if it's for a single scene, I don't think spending the time learning 3Delight is the way to go. Wayne knows what he's talking about w/Mental Ray.

I dont think I am going to use 3Delight, instead I want to figure out how to convert them to poly without my computer crashing. Even when I am using default material its laggy as hell. Suggestions?

tostao_wayne
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I dont think I am going to use 3Delight, instead I want to figure out how to convert them to poly without my computer crashing. Even when I am using default material its laggy as hell. Suggestions?

What version of maya are you ussing?? 32 or 64 bits?? how many memory?? processor??

can you give us some more details about the scene?? can you use proxies instead pfx??

i can't figure out what`s the problem.

FalineFarwell
11-23-2009, 10:20 PM
What version of maya are you ussing?? 32 or 64 bits?? how many memory?? processor??

can you give us some more details about the scene?? can you use proxies instead pfx??

i can't figure out what`s the problem.

The scene is a car crashing into a field of corn. Pretty much it.

I am using 2009 and 2010, I just have 2 versions in case there are bugs with 2010. I have a 32 bit. 3GB of memory, and my processor is a Athlon 7550 Dual-Core 2.50GHz. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS. I know its not that great but I am defiantly willing to upgrade, parts. More bad news Im on Vista but I will downgrade to XP if necessary.

What are proxies?

Iv only been using maya for about a year so Im not a complete pro yet.

tostao_wayne
11-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Ok, firts of all i would suggest you to upgrade your system to windos 7 64x. windows 32x handle very bad the memory ussage.

you have only 3 Gb of ram?? or you have 4 Gb and windows only recognice 3??
if yes, you are losting 1 gb for not to use a 64x system.

After that, proxies are geometry with almost no memory ussage, you need a single object and a the rest of them are references to this object that are only loaded into memory at render time.

you can find a lot of references into this forum.

I would suggest you to use mip_binaryproxies (mr_proxies didn't work) for the main corn field, and to use only real geometry for the corn plants that need to be animated.

here you can find some examples of proxies and/or instances usage:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=804892

and here an explanation from MasterZap on how to use mip_bynariproxies:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=607924

and here a tutorial about it:

http://www.pixelcg.com/blog/?p=586

TheNeverman
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
dosen't appear to be any downloads available for the paintFX->particles plugin mentioned...
https://code.google.com/p/jupiterpfx2particles/

Not quite.

P.

KidderD
02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
I see it, if I go to Source, and then Browse.

Someone care to compile it for 2010 x64?

Mauritius
02-26-2010, 02:03 AM
dosen't appear to be any downloads available for the paintFX->particles plugin mentioned...
https://code.google.com/p/jupiterpfx2particles/
https://jupiterpfx2particles.googlecode.com/hg/
Does direly need a (C)Makefile, indeed.
Or just use the one Autodesk ships with Maya & modify. Probably the easiest approach.

.mm

thematt
02-26-2010, 06:53 AM
any reason why you don't simply render them in software and composited them after then? would be easier no?
cheers

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2010, 06:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.