PDA

View Full Version : Difference in After effects and Premiere?

That Adrian Guy
05-18-2002, 12:18 AM
:hmm: Excuse the n00b question, but if they both edit video... when would I want to use one over another?:surprised

ilasolomon
05-18-2002, 11:36 PM
you may place your post in the After Effect forum, but anyway
this is the answer:
premiere is for editing but could do some limited compositing &
after effect is for compositing but could do some limited editing!
the choice is yours, i always have both running @the time, they
complete eachother.
ila

AnimBot
05-20-2002, 12:58 AM
Yea After Effects works almost like an animated version of photoshop. You can composite images in multiple layers through the time line and place effects on each layer. Premiere is prettey limited as far as the compositing goes but it's tools are much more efficient tor doing linear editing quick and easy.

That Adrian Guy
05-20-2002, 06:53 PM
bonus! thanks for the reply

animationfx
06-14-2002, 02:24 PM
I use After Effects religiously. The amount of animation/effects you can do with text and graphics in After Effects are basically unlimited!

You can animate masks to make up your own effects that plug-ins do not provide you with. And one of my favorite features is being able to pre-compose one composition into another composition. Doing that will allow you to apply an effect to a whole animation within a composition.

Basically, I only use Premiere when I need to do straight editing, and no graphics.

That is just my preference though. Use both programs, and get familiar with their tools. Then you will be able to better judge which one will work out better for the task you are trying to accomplish. :)

http://www.joytiernan.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.