PDA

View Full Version : rigging wire parameters - small problem

jamesslimmons
11-20-2009, 01:36 PM
if any one can help i would be really really chuffed! I must be missing something vey simple...

Within my rigg, I've got an object that's wired using 'position xyz' to a control object using wire parameters. It's working really well apart from one thing.... I need to now link my control object to another object - when i do, it cuts all of it's wire parameters - breaking the rig. Can anyone spot something I've missed?

cheers
Jamie

Mathieson
11-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Try replacing the position_xyz with a position_list, then creating two position_xyz controllers in the position list. Wire the value into one, but leave the one without the wire as the active controller. This should allow you to change parents without any problems.

What is happening with your current setup is, the wired axis has that value being forced to whatever the wire determines it to be. The values being stored in controllers are values relative to their parent node, not their world space coordinates (you will notice when a node is aligned with its parent, the values will all read as 0). When changing parents, the individual axis controller values change to offset values from the new parent to keep it in the same relative position and rotation in world space. Since the value is locked, and cannot change, it is being forced that distance away from it's new parent in that axis.

I hope my explanation makes sense.

jamesslimmons
11-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Many many thanks to you Mathieson. I appreciate you giving me your time. Have a good weekend (I will, now I have a solution to my latest problem).

Thanks
Jamie

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2009, 03:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.