PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Rigging Reel

exhibitx
11-20-2009, 01:32 PM
http://vimeo.com/7715782
http://quang3d.com

This is my final demo reel from Full Sail University.

Solbester
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Dude the settings in Vimeo are set to private you might wanna check that.. I saw your site.. most of the rigs are good but you need to think more outside the box... Create rigs that are more complex and have more options for the animator. Always remember we as riggers can never give animators limitations... I think your best rig is the rat but it would be nice if the tail could be a switch between a dynamic tail and an FK auto coil that can squash and stretch that way the rat can use his tail for more than just movement... A perfect example of this would be the two possums from Ice Age Crasha dn Eddie.

As for the car.. Great work! but... I would like to see that the car can rotate the wheels automaticall when moved forward and back in any direction.... and that the animtor has the option to animate the wheels separatly as well. Keep up the good work dude!

exhibitx
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
haha thanks... I didn't even know that it was on private.. Thanks for the headsup. For the wheel rotation base off of translation of the car to work in all four quadrant ( +X, +Y) , (-X ,+Y) (-X, -Y) ( +X, -Y), it has to base off of the position of the previous frame therefore I did a little animation to show that. As for complex rig, please specify more. I would greatly appreciated. The tail has the ability to do what you mentioned, I will try to squeeze those into my reel. Thanks for taking the time

Solbester
11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
haha thanks... I didn't even know that it was on private.. Thanks for the headsup. For the wheel rotation base off of translation of the car to work in all four quadrant ( +X, +Y) , (-X ,+Y) (-X, -Y) ( +X, -Y), it has to base off of the position of the previous frame therefore I did a little animation to show that. As for complex rig, please specify more. I would greatly appreciated. The tail has the ability to do what you mentioned, I will try to squeeze those into my reel. Thanks for taking the time

Cool okay..

For the car.. You don't show that the car can move and rotate at the same time... You should show the car moving forward back and then making a turn with the wheels still moving... (make it real time don't render it show how the controls work)

For the Rat... If it can do it show it. Don't leave anything out...

Lastly what i mean by making more out of the box rigs is that everyone does Fk/Ik switches, Squash and stretch, dynamic switches, facial rigs, this is all boring let see some elaborate rigging.

For example: In underworld the wings were rigged in a matter that required some fancy rigging and the wolf transformations were done with objects that looked like sculpt deformers that activated a blendshape depending to how close it was to the head... or in the Mist i worked on a rig that pretty much allowed the tenticle to animate its self without having to much even the suckers moved on their on. One rigger even created a rig for a beast that had his rider on top and you could move the rider in every way and you cold move the beast in everyway.. but there was one ctrl that if you moved it it moved that beast on a full body Ik kinda look and the rider would react automatically to the beasts movements live so you didnt have to cache anything it was all real time There's more to rigs than Ik/Fk and splines.... Use utilities to for example make it so the characters foot doesnt pass the ground which he steps on. Make rigs that catch the eye of a person to say wow now thats impressive. And dont forget to make ctrls thats have the ability to turn off other ctrls so that the rigs arent cludered. As an animator we have to animate everything in the scene everything in life is animatable there for it must be rigged.. because we never place key frames on geometry. Hope all this helps.

Carzoo
11-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I've had the pleasure to both animate and test the rigs that Quang has made. We worked as a team back and forth on the Female Android Rig, and he was more than happy to fix any issue that I had with the rig, or add any control that I would need that wasn't there. Saying that, there was very few times that I needed to send the rig back to him to be adjusted, because he has more than enough options and controls, and his rigs were very limitless on what they were able to do. He has the determination to constantly better himself and his rig for the animator.

Quang, I've been impressed with your work and can't wait to continue to animate with the rigs you have made. This reel is nicely put together, and I like how it is a quick rigging reel that shows what you would like to show without getting too long and lengthy with it. Your rigs, from what I have worked on and tested, have always been animator friendly and limitless! I understand the previous critique of "going outside the box" and rigging creatures, but you have really showed off that you can make an animator extremely happy with a simple limitless rig that can achieve any pose and any animation!

Great Job! Can't wait to see more of your work, test more of your work and animate more of it!

Solbester
11-20-2009, 05:09 PM
I've had the pleasure to both animate and test the rigs that Quang has made. We worked as a team back and forth on the Female Android Rig, and he was more than happy to fix any issue that I had with the rig, or add any control that I would need that wasn't there. Saying that, there was very few times that I needed to send the rig back to him to be adjusted, because he has more than enough options and controls, and his rigs were very limitless on what they were able to do. He has the determination to constantly better himself and his rig for the animator.

Quang, I've been impressed with your work and can't wait to continue to animate with the rigs you have made. This reel is nicely put together, and I like how it is a quick rigging reel that shows what you would like to show without getting too long and lengthy with it. Your rigs, from what I have worked on and tested, have always been animator friendly and limitless! I understand the previous critique of "going outside the box" and rigging creatures, but you have really showed off that you can make an animator extremely happy with a simple limitless rig that can achieve any pose and any animation!

Great Job! Can't wait to see more of your work, test more of your work and animate more of it!

Im glad you guys could work together.. its important to help each other out.. note though im not doubting his rigging skills im just letting him know what leads from major companies like Pixar, dreamworks and blue sky have told me when it comes to looking at demo reels.. I think he's a great rigger thats why i went out of my way to write all this.. good luck to the both of you :D

phantomworkshop
11-20-2009, 05:22 PM
That's some really nice work there...

I would have to agree about the car, but otherwise, your controls are solid.. good luck out there!

EricDLegare
11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Nice, that was a nice one !

Good job !

NickWhitmire
11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes, well done. One of the more complex and clean rigging reels I've seen from FS. Good job and good luck.

KielFiggins
11-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Very clean presentation, nice execution.

Though, in general with most rigging reels I see, the tried and true "Watch me jiggle this controller" is rather played out. Great that you have animations in there, so defiantly keep them. But you could show off the versatility of a rig by striking more key and exaggerated poses (similar to the demo pose of the cyborg girl). Three to five really pushed poses can show off bind, bend, stretch, squash and uniqueness, but more importantly show off the ability to show 'character' with the controls, rather then simply 'motion. The same could be said for facial setups, demonstrate expressions instead of single control movements.

example being:
http://jeffunay.com/web-content/pages/personalWork/gusTheGhoul1.html

As for the car, I've done a few car rigs, and seems like yours is pretty solid. I would give that to an animator and put it through the ringer. Individual controls for the tires is key, but you can push the idea even further by having tire deformation, rumble controls, steering overrides, motion path detection, surface detection, ect. The list goes on and on. Cool stuff with the hydrolics, though the presentation on them could be amped a bit more.

Lastly, if your pursuing TD/Setup work, I would have a section on your reel abuot your knowledge of scripting in mel/python. Being able to create tools, automate rig setups and procedures is a must and will be one more bullet point / section for your reel.

Looking good, keep on keeping on.

exhibitx
11-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I will take everyone's comments to heart to improve my next reel.

intarc
11-29-2009, 06:36 PM
I think the facial rig is most impressive from your reel. I like how the combination of shapes are triggered. Nice Work!

intarc
11-29-2009, 06:47 PM
for some reason my first post didn't work. If it's a dup, please excuse me.

Great work! I really like your facial rig and how the combination of blendshapes triggered well together. I'm a student too and my interest is rigging as well, an I always have trouble with that. Any suggestions?

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2009, 06:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.