PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Computing for Artists: Public Beta

Robert Magee
11-19-2009, 08:00 PM
http://www.sidefx.com/images/stories/main_features/hqueue_cloud_main.jpg

Side Effects Software, an industry leader in 3D animation and visual effects software, is pleased to announce the public beta release of new artist-friendly HQueue cloud computing tools. Studios and individuals who are looking for an artist-friendly way to harness the processing power of Amazonís EC2 compute cloud will now be able to launch renderings and simulations from right inside Houdini.

With access to computers for as little as 50 cents an hour, it is easy to test out the cloud and see what is possible. We look forward to your feedback. Apprentice and Apprentice HD users also have access to the cloud for use in personal projects!!

Come check it out! (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1630&Itemid=66)

-Sai-
11-19-2009, 08:29 PM
cool! new toy from Side Effects !

djorzgul
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Pure awesomeness :bowdown:

Strang
11-19-2009, 11:03 PM
just the other day i was looking at vSwarm and then this... nice job sidefx!

s

Ikaria
11-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Smart, smart move. Love it!

Mic_Ma
11-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Amazing, inspired, and generous, as always!

Bullit
11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
What is the difference for current renderfarms? or the cloud is the new PR narrative that sells?

That said i found 50 cents an hour good but i didn't read the fine print yet.

mr Bob
11-21-2009, 10:55 AM
So cool ..... Houdini leads where other will no doubt copy :)

b

TheNeverman
11-21-2009, 04:03 PM
...Autodesk has been experimenting with cloud computing for a few months now...

b

-Sai-
11-21-2009, 04:39 PM
...Autodesk has been experimenting with cloud computing for a few months now...

source? They might have been experimenting but the end user still haven't got a chance to use it yet.

pix3lm0nk
11-21-2009, 04:51 PM
source? They might have been experimenting but the end user still haven't got a chance to use it yet.

does it matter who was first?

-Sai-
11-21-2009, 05:01 PM
does it matter who was first?

My reply wasn't directing to who did it first.I am saying you can download linux version of houdini and use the cloud computing right now.Is there a link where I can download ant test out the autodesk version of cloud computing?

RobertoOrtiz
11-21-2009, 05:54 PM
To be fair the way the Sidefx is implementing the cloud computing concept seems to be WAY different from the way Autodesk is.

What what I have read, Autodesk is pushing for the idea of a thin client on the desktop, just think of it as MAINFRAME 2.0, while Side Fx is pushing for true distributed computing where only certain tasks are sent to the cloud,(like water sim) while keeping a "fat" client.

Strang
11-21-2009, 07:14 PM

b

mental ray has been doing this with reality server for a long long time.

regardless, houdini has something for users to test and use. they have a plan for release that isn't too far out. bravo!

mr Bob
11-21-2009, 11:29 PM
mental ray has been doing this with reality server for a long long time.

Surprised ...

Nothing has ever been given to the end user thats integrated into XSI or Maya.

Strang
11-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Surprised ...

Nothing has ever been given to the end user thats integrated into XSI or Maya.

yup, that is why i said, "houdini has something for users to test and use. they have a plan for release that isn't too far out. bravo!"

wasn't trying to promote mental images or demote sidefx, i was actually attempting the opposite. oh well.

TheNeverman
11-23-2009, 12:53 AM
http://www.stress-free.co.nz/autodesk_beyond_desktop_cad_and_bim

vswarm
12-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi all,
as I am one of the developers of vSwarm mentioned in this thread I just want to give you the link to our free render farm (http://www.vswarm.com) everybody can participate in.
If you are interested join us and help us build a powerful tool for 3d designers.

At the moment we support blender3d (internal renderer) and are working on the support of LuxRender and Yafaray. A windows client is already available linux and mac will come soon.
To let others render your images you need no client so maybe give it a try as linux and mac user as well.

Cheers
Thomas

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2009, 04:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.