PDA

View Full Version : CMYK colors and Maya/MR

drmz
11-19-2009, 01:37 PM
There was an old topic which is closed, but maybe there are some new workarounds or features now?

My problem is, that I create a cardplay game, that combines rendered images and illustrations. Scince the cards will offset printed I have to create the renderings that look good in CMYK color space. The problem is, that not every color from RGB can be converted to a matching CMYK color. But in Maya I just can pick RGB or HSV colors.
My workflow at the moment is, that I create the key colors in Photoshop in CMYK-Colospace with the Colorprofile the printers need and use the same RGB value for this colors in Maya.
I just use gamma corrected procedual textures and render in mental ray with mia_exposure_simple.
However the converted render to cmyk still looks a little more grayish than the original colors in Photoshop.

What else can I do?

cgbeige
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
how about using the eyedropper colour picker from Maya's colour palette to suck up colour from your CMYK image that's open in Photoshop?

There's not much way to keep renderings in-gamut for CMYK but if you choose base colours this way, it will be a good start I think.

But try and avoid dulling your images down too much while working in Maya. I do print work too but still use 32-bit EXR renderings since you get better dynamic range by going this way and then doing tonemapping and correction later in Photomatix or Photoshop. But your images are probably very different and more illustrative so that might not be a good workflow for you. Can you post an image of your illustration and the type of problems you're having?

drmz
11-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Im not at my work computer right now but basically I do backgrounds in an 80s tron style for a "vintage electronics" cardgame.
I use procedual textures like grid and ramp to get that fake/cheap 3D look which was used in lots of print adds in this era. This is working nicely but I have to care a lot for the colors I want to use in the grid or ramps. I started with a nice clean blue/red grid but than realised, that these colors are not possible in CMYK space. So I created the key colors in Photoshop in CMYK and just used the same color values in Maya. Your tip with the eyedropper is so easy that Im ashamed I did it numerical. Tsss. Thanks.
The greyish look comes from my lighting setup. I tried some different setups and now Im closer to the look I want. Finetuning will be in Photoshop like you said. More saturation in the blue/red range helped a lot.

cgbeige
11-20-2009, 04:52 AM
I do a lot of postprocessing for LP covers and do a lot of vintage style as well. This is just an illustrator graphic with a lot of Photoshop work:

http://www.3eige.com/design/slg.html

and this is Maya with more postprocessing:

http://www.3eige.com/design/cynosuredeadbeatmonolake.html

All were done from much cleaner source material. So if you want gritty and desaturated, I suggest just using adjustment layers and filers like Alienskin Exposure to get a more vintage look. But like I said, it's easier to get the dynamic range you want and bump down to vintage than it is to polish a turd (low contrast image).

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2009, 04:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.