PDA

View Full Version : Lighitng Question

drmaya
11-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi every one
I was wondering how to make like this beautiful light

by Paul Anthony F. Tamin
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g30/206130/206130_1258529170_medium.jpg

Please don't tell me to use the physical sun and sky in Maya coz it will give me very bad result with gamma stuff :banghead:

Is there any way to make a cloudy day light with nice soft shadow without using the traditional physical sun and sky in mental ray

Another question
what is the main different between vray sun and sky light and mental ray physical sun and sky light?
In Vray.Do u have to change the gamma value in every image like mental ray?
I can see clearly that vray gives much more realistic result than mental image.

:)

drmaya
11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
???..............????

tostao_wayne
11-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Please don't tell me to use the physical sun and sky in Maya coz it will give me very bad result with gamma stuff :banghead:

Sun & Sky and a mia_exposure_photographic. Or try to use a IBL set with mia_exposure_photographic.

InfernalDarkness
11-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Look up proper linear workflow if the "bad result" is bothering you. No problems with gamma and the sun/sky once you understand how it works, and to be honest the exposure nodes are precisely how you control gamma in Maya. Is there any way to make a cloudy day light with nice soft shadow without using the traditional physical sun and sky in mental ray

Yes. You can use IBL as tastao_wayne suggested, or simply create a large spotlight, move it far away from the scene, and turn on soft shadows. To do this, use Raytrace shadows and set Light Radius to higher than 0 (2 is very soft, 1 should be fine), and make sure your Shadow Rays are high enough to take care of graininess, if you get any. I usually start at 8 and work down to suit my scene.

Either way, for the cloudy sky, you'll want a decent sky image to work with. You can make one in Maya or use a photo. But if you look at this render, there are no visible clouds, just an overcast haze.

But the best way (easiest) to achieve such lighting is by using the sun/sky node. That said, this artist likely used filters in post to achieve the hazy glow. Flaming Pear Aetherize is designed to do just this sort of thing, and I used to use it in almost all my exterior renders.

what is the main different between vray sun and sky light and mental ray physical sun and sky light?
In Vray.Do u have to change the gamma value in every image like mental ray?

The main difference is that they're nothing alike, other than to use directional lights. You don't have to change the gamma value in every image in mental ray. Look up linear workflow, it's very simple really.

I can see clearly that vray gives much more realistic result than mental image.

What you're seeing is a personal bias, then. So, just use Vray. You can get identical results in either, but mental ray will take more work generally, in exchange for a bit more control and flexibility.

drmaya
11-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for your reply
I wish if i get the full version of very for maya but it's very expensive to me $865 :(

InfernalDarkness
11-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for your reply
I wish if i get the full version of very for maya but it's very expensive to me $865 :(

I also can't justify the cost, especially since MR does everything Vray does and we already have it!

But I believe there is a demo for Vray? Meanwhile, it won't hurt to learn everything you can about mental ray. The arch/viz market (for example) is about half and half now, it seems like, or getting much closer. I have no reason to use Vray; five years with mental ray, and with great help available here and all over the Net, there are very few things you can't do with mental ray and a LOT of patience.

But keep in mind that even if you did have Vray, it's not "the easy way". You'll still encounter all kinds of challenging issues, they would merely be different challenging issues. Don't stop learning!

drmaya
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
I also can't justify the cost, especially since MR does everything Vray does and we already have it!

But I believe there is a demo for Vray? Meanwhile, it won't hurt to learn everything you can about mental ray. The arch/viz market (for example) is about half and half now, it seems like, or getting much closer. I have no reason to use Vray; five years with mental ray, and with great help available here and all over the Net, there are very few things you can't do with mental ray and a LOT of patience.

But keep in mind that even if you did have Vray, it's not "the easy way". You'll still encounter all kinds of challenging issues, they would merely be different challenging issues. Don't stop learning!

Thanks
Mate Iím using mental ray since Maya 5 .
Until now, Iím trying to get as realistic as vray producing images but I couldnít.
It's may my problem but Iím telling u that I have a lot of friend who suffering with the realty with mental ray, on other hand, some friend have just started with vray in max and got much beautiful images.
look at the DVD's that produced by like digital tutors and gnomon for the mental ray
it's not that realistic compare to what they have for vray DVD's learning.
There is something strange..FG in mental ray nice but some time washout your images

GI not strong as the GI in Vray.

Gamma shit stuff (believe me u have to put gamma node correction to get correct images)

It's not just my opinion. Itís the fact vray much better.
If there is something very good about mental ray I can tell u that is the speed.

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.