PDA

View Full Version : I need to render a reflection, but not the surface it is on

recognition scene
11-19-2009, 12:28 AM
I've got an object sitting on a reflective surface (a simple plane), casting a reflection into the surface. The object's primary visibility is turned off, so all that is being rendered is the surface/plane, and the reflection of the object upon the surface. However, what I really need is for ONLY the reflection to be rendered and for the areas of the surface/plane that are not reflecting the object to appear as an alpha channel.

Is this possible? I feel like I should know how to get this result but I've been unable to all day. Thanks.

divideXzero
11-19-2009, 07:57 AM
look up a reflection pass

recognition scene
11-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Naturally, I figured out a solution to my problem about an hour after posting this thread -- I rendered two passes, one with a useBackground shader on the plane that created an alpha of only the reflection and then a 'beauty' render of the actual reflection and the surface that it is being reflected upon. Then I combined both renders in post.

But thanks for the recommendation divideXzero, I do need to better familiarize myself with Maya's render passes.

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2009, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.