PDA

View Full Version : MR - GI Scene Calculator

sinistar
11-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Is there a script... or something built into Maya which allows you to calculate what your minimum and maximum radius should be for GI or final gather? What do you use to figure this out?

thanks..

InfernalDarkness
11-19-2009, 05:34 PM
It should tell you in the Output Window, if you have Progress Messages turned on. But you'd have to render first to see the dats; I don't know of a script that lets you calculate it otherwise...

Maybe check over at creativecrash.com?

sinistar
11-22-2009, 06:36 PM
OK, so what am I looking for in the output window?

sinistar
11-29-2009, 04:00 AM
I didn't see anything in the output window...

InfernalDarkness
11-29-2009, 11:26 PM
For me, the output window isn't behaving properly in Maya 2009. Trying to set verbosity to "Progress Messages" has no effect in the mental ray global node anymore; this worked in Maya 6-2008, but for some reason it's being ridiculous now.

Anyone have insight into how to get Progress Messages up and running again? It seems to work fine on some scenes, but from scratch I can't get them into the Output Window anymore...

Emil3d
11-30-2009, 12:57 AM
It is in the options of the commands "Render Currrent Frame" that affects only Render View and is separate for "Bach Render" that affects the render log. When you render the option set there will overwrite mentalrayGlobals.
I think this change was made to make these options being program settings as opose to being part of the file in the previous versions.

sinistar
11-30-2009, 11:08 AM
I think the progress messages are working for me.. I just don't know exactly what i'm looking for and how im supposed to apply that to my GI, FG, AO settings...

Emil3d
11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't think the output log or any predefined calculations can tell what to do with GI and Final Gather. The output tells you what happens during the rendering and if something is wrong. You can draw some conclusions about certain things like how many photons are wasted, reflected, the average BSP, and ect. but it will not tell you things like how large the photon radius should be. All of these things are arbitrary and the only way to get to the intended result is trial and error test renderings with the help of map visualizer, diagnostics, and etc.

ytsejam1976
11-30-2009, 03:52 PM
The radius Photons setting to 0 returns the automatic calculation in bounding box size. For example in a scene classic like a room, mental ray calculate good radius because the entire scene is rappresented in one entity, but for example if you have a room and out of this you have modelled a garden or other object, mental ray radius calculation is not good result. Another example: if you have a room in a palace in a town mental ray release the entire radius of the town, and this is no good, because if you are in scene scale the radius release is over.

In my "little" :) experience i have a workflow that i'm shure a good radius in a scene scale set in cm(centimeters) i'm set to 40-50. This from millions of tests is a good radius, like a results and render time.

ciao

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2009, 03:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.