PDA

View Full Version : Crevice shader using AO to control texture change?

mightcouldb1
11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
I am trying to create a bronze shader that is fully procedural where I can control the placement of two shaders (one bronze, and one patina) based on ambient occlusion. I am currently mapping the result of the mia_materials to the bright and dark value of an ambient occlusion, and then mapping that "out value" to the "out color" of a Surface shader.

I'm posting my scene file so that someone might be able to take a look at it and help me out.

I also want to comment on my experience with building shaders with mental ray vs mantra/renderman. Mental Ray in Maya is an attempt at a artist friendly renderer, but at the same time is extremely difficult to construct something beyond the basic functionality of the shader unless you learn its overly complex shading language. Why does everything have to be a hack? I wish that they would implement a solution to allow an artist to create a complex shading network without having to spend time finding work arounds. Something like VEX SHOPS in Houdini. Just my thoughts!

Cheers

phix314
11-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey bud.

There's a program that allows for creation of shaders based on a node-like heirarchy. Relatively recent, I'm sure it'd be the first or second on a search.

I tried my hand at bronze a month or two ago, and I posted my results (and others) here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=21&t=800132&highlight=bronze

While I never went back to tweak the shaders to the point where the occluded areas were non-reflective, I did learn alot about using the built in mr nodes to control it. For something this precise, however, I'd recommend the mix8/mix20 nodes. They're very useful and work very well for layering materials with alpha.

I have an .ma of the shading network if you'd like it.

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2009, 09:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.