PDA

View Full Version : Please help me

Jonson
11-18-2009, 04:57 PM
hi

I modelled this Scene in Maya 2009 and rendered in Mental Ray for a class project but am having issues with my glass (refraction) and Mirror (Reflection). The Glass was shading with an Mia_X_passes and then replaced with a blinn but still everything on the outside of the glass is Brighter then what is inside the glass and same issue with the mirror shaded as Mia_x_passes (Chrome preset). Im not sure if it is a MR issue or I've done something wrong. I have checked normals on the objects and played with numerous settings to fix it but still no go. Mental Ray Render only Final Gather and Ray trace Shadows.

please help so i can put this piece to rest

thank you

Jozvex
11-19-2009, 02:23 AM
My first guess would be that you need to increase the 'shadow ray depth' on either your lights or in the Render Settings, or both!

If the shadow ray depth is too low (it's only set to 1 on lights by default) then shadows won't appear in reflective or refractive things, causing the scene too look too bright in them. Each level of depth is how many reflection/refraction levels the shadow will appear in.

Jonson
11-19-2009, 07:24 AM
thanks Jozvex for the reply ..... My Ray depth is set at 1 on the lights and max in render settings. I'll play with the depth just now and post my results back here

Jonson
11-20-2009, 07:24 AM
HI

I managed to sort it out ..... It appears that the Scene file was infact not working properly after exporting everything out as an OBJ I setup a new Scene and without the textures it seems to be working properley. I will be putting on the Textures today and Will post if I'm wrong .....

Thanks for the Help :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2009, 07:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.