PDA

View Full Version : web effect

krisla
11-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi all! Any one got an idea for making a detailed spiderweb effect, ie. having strings suspended both onto each others and surrounding geo? Want to set up a dynamic poly web much like a spiders web, only not a typical flat web but one that is suspended in all directions inside a cave (one example could be Shelobs cave in lotr...) I'll be very happy to hear suggestions for such a rig:)

Wick3dParticle
11-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi Kristian,

I think that using Ncloth might be a great route to take for this sort of effect. What I would probably consider is modeling the web and combining it in to 1 object. Then convert that to Ncloth. Use constraints to pin certain verticies to hold the web in place.

~Ilan

krisla
11-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks alot Ilan, been thinking about that and will definetly try it out!:thumbsup:

HowardM
11-19-2009, 11:14 AM
If you want to animate it, and do it fast and dirty, do like Ilan says but make an ncloth plane, pin its corners, sim, and then wrap a high res web model to it.

That way you dont need to do long sims with the hires web but can still get the motion, etc...

Although (and Ill have to play with it) a nice intricate hires model, simmed, with different glue strengths could make for some cool webs that have bits that break apart and droop ;)

krisla
11-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Thx alot Howard! Didn't quite get the idea though, did mean wrapping the entire web to a single plane, or have each 'string' have its own proxy plane to wrap around. If you're thinking of the first, would that be similar to a softbody lattice or something? Would definetly go for the entire mesh if the time is there, but maybe make a low res for cloth animation and then a high res wrap?

HowardM
11-19-2009, 01:47 PM
yes basically same thing.

you can either take a plane and make it ncloth and animate it and then wrap a hires web model to it so the web follows the cloth.

or make a low res web (not extruded) with all the intricate detailed strands, and wrap a hires version.

never sim a hires version of anything! ;)

krisla
11-19-2009, 02:35 PM
I see:) Thanks again, Howard! I'm off to webbing now:lightbulb !

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2009, 02:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.