PDA

View Full Version : "Set Driven Key" in Messiah???

Almaraz
08-18-2003, 10:17 PM
The Messiah it will be betther to Animate than the Set Driven Key on Maya?

sorry foy my english :blush:

fwtep
08-18-2003, 11:10 PM
I am not certain that I understand your question exactly. Are you asking if it is possible to do Set Driven Keys in messiah? Yes, you can.

Fred

Almaraz
08-18-2003, 11:40 PM
thank u for answer fwtep, that exactly my question, but how can i do that? can you showme a example?

mikeesparza
08-18-2003, 11:47 PM
Yes, do you know where we can find some examples? or tutorials?

fwtep
08-19-2003, 02:15 AM
Sure. By the way, for people who don't know what set driven keys are, here's my (hopefully correct) interpretation:

Using normal expressions you could make one object move as the result of another object being moved. For example, you could make it so when you move the left hand up, the right hand goes up too. With set driven keys, the position of one object controls the position in *time* of another object. For example, you have a hand that is open on frame 10, and you use set driven keys to make it so when a bouncing ball gets to a certain point it makes the hand go to its "frame 10 position" (even if the bouncing ball is in that position at frame 50-- in other words, it doesn't matter what frame the ball is at, the fingers will open at the point you specify).

So in messiah there are Expressions as well as Effects that can handle this. The Effect is called MotionBlender, and the Expression Functions are CycleBranchMorphFrame and CycleBranchMorphAddFrame. What's great is that you can even control hierarchies, so you only need to reference the parent item and the children will be affected as well.

There are tutorials for all of this in the messiah docs. They show how to use slider to drive the keys, but with the Expressions method you can use any item to drive it. Plus, rather than a single frame, you can drive animations too. Just set a frame range that you want to reference, rather than a single frame (only with the Expressions method).

I'm sure someone else will chime in here with other ways of doing it too. messiah is like a set of building blocks, so there are usually several ways of doing things, depending on what your exact needs and constraints are.

Fred

Andy741
08-19-2003, 03:22 AM
Could you take a set driven key thing and tie it to an armature?

Could you take an animation like say a hand bouncing a basketball and take the keyframes and record them in a timeline and repeat them as much as you want, but still control the other parts of the body separately? Maybe tie the looping animation to an armature control of some sort?

fwtep
08-19-2003, 03:31 AM
Of course. You wouldn't actually tie it to the armature, you'd tie it to an item that the armature is controlling.

Almaraz
08-19-2003, 02:58 PM

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.