PDA

View Full Version : effector rotation

seb4d
08-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Hi,
I can't make the effector of a chain rotate.
I pose constrained it to a null (with a position offset), when I rotate the null the effector moves to follow the null's rotation but I need it to rotate on its own axis so that the entire chain rotates.
It works in Maya when I parent the ikhandle to a locator, but in XSI I can't parent the effector since it is part of the chain hierarchy (whereas the ikhandle in Maya is independant), that's why I used constraints.

I hope it is clear enough, if not tell me I will post pictures.
Thanks in advance for your help !

StefanA
08-18-2003, 09:16 PM
please post a pic of what you are trying to do. XSI works (as you might have noticed) totaly different from maya when dealing with Effectors and IK.

So please explain what it is you are after and I'll try my best to guide you.

best regards

.stefan andersson

seb4d
08-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Here is what I do in Maya :
The 2 ikhandles are parented to the box. When the box rotates the ikhandles move and rotate accordingly and so do the bones too.
http://perso.club-internet.fr/sebastien.gaucher/divers/bones_maya.gif

Here is what I managed to get in XSI :
The 2 effectors are pose-constrained to the box. When the box rotates the effectors move but don't rotate since it is not a parent/child relation. So the bones don't rotate neither.
http://perso.club-internet.fr/sebastien.gaucher/divers/bones_xsi.gif

I am looking for a behavior similar to my Maya scene.

StefanA
08-18-2003, 11:07 PM
ok, try the oposite. Parent the root's to the Cube and make two implicit cubes which the end effectors are position constrainted too.

I made a small MPEG file that shows the behavior.
http://home.tiscali.se/sbanders/bone_rotate.mpg

Tell me if this could work for you.

best regards

.stefan andersson

seb4d
08-18-2003, 11:33 PM
It was so simple !!!
Thanks very much StefanA, it works perfectly !:thumbsup:

It's not the first time you help me and I really appreciate this !

bye.

StefanA
08-19-2003, 12:23 AM
I'm glad I could help you. Happy animating! :D

.stefan

LowJacK
08-20-2003, 07:15 PM
wouldn't it have been easier to just contrain the orientation, with compensation on, on the effectors to the box?

seb4d
08-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Sure LowJack, but it seems effectors just have position controls, not rotation, so it does not make the bone rotate.

I may be wrong but I didn't find how to achieve it. If you have a solution I am interested.

ggg
08-20-2003, 11:28 PM
just leave your setup as you first had it with effectors pose constrained to cube, then under the "chain" PPG for the bone/chain (not the effector), under Effector Rotation, uncheck, set to False, the parameter "Affected by last Bone"

seb4d
08-21-2003, 08:50 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause:
ggg Thank you very much !!
You're my savior !

cheers ! :beer:

seb4d
08-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Oops there's a problem...
The effector does rotate but not the bone. :banghead:

So I still need to use StefanA's solution which works perfectly.

ggg
08-21-2003, 08:40 PM
after turning off "effector rotation>effected by last bone"
-get a null
-transform>match all transforms, to effector
-translate null in local mode in one axis perpendicular to bone, likely Y
-parent the null as child to the effector
-select bone, skeleton>chain up vector and pick the null

(and if you have more than one bone in the chain its likely you don't want them to all rotate the same but rather blend between effector rot and and root rot, so look at MIsners Spline now available in XSI 3.5)

seb4d
08-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Thanks you so much ggg !
:bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.