PDA

View Full Version : camera depth pass - more contrast

Gauranga
11-17-2009, 09:09 PM
i'm rendering a camera depth pass in 2009.

i was wondering how to increase the contrast of the gray scale you get from the camera depth pass?

right now it has very little change from dark to light.

thanks.

Dangertaz
11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm assuming you're using Set Range node.

First, go into Display-Heads Up Display and turn on Object Details.

You should now have a read out in the upper right hand corner that includes the distance of an object from the camera.

Pick an area at the closest edge of your scene. Write down or remember the number and go into your Set Range node. Right click in the X (left) channel of Old Min and pick "Break Connection". Enter the number into Old Min.

Pick and area at the farthest edge and enter the distance from camera into the Old Max value.

Re-render and you should see much more contrast.

You can always play with these values to change the range of black to white, just experiment.

I hope this helps!

Gauranga
11-18-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm not using the set range node.

But I'd like to now that I know about it.

If you have some more time, I'd love to hear from you on how to use the set range node with the camera depth pass.

Thanks a lot for your time.
Jason

leif3d
11-18-2009, 02:45 AM
if you're using the Z float pass from the camera, then the distance will be determined by the clipping planes.
This will not matter in a comp app though, most comp apps like Nuke or Fusion should be able to read values that you can't see in an 8-bit viewer and apply them fine to any effect you would want to use this pass for.

phix314
11-18-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm assuming you're using Set Range node.

The set range node was the setup that pre 2k9 used before the implementation of the pass system.

Is the problem that the Z information isn't correct or you just want to be able to see it more clearly? As leif said, it doesn't matter what you can see, matters what the comp program sees, which is usually enough.

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2009, 03:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.