PDA

View Full Version : Blender needs face lift

actionfigure
08-18-2003, 08:40 PM
Well Im glad to say that the new version of Blender is great but one thing. I wish they would redesign the interface so it would be user friendly. I got used to using and moving around Blender but when I compare it to other animation programs, Blender seems to be harder to use. I have been using Realsoft3d which is easier to use than blender and does the same job. Dont get me wrong, I love Blender but I just wish it was more user friendly.

:hmm:

emtilt
08-18-2003, 09:08 PM
I believe most Blender users would rather the interface stays somewhat like it is. Once you learn the commands, it is tons faster than most of interfaces. So I wouldn't expect or want such a large facelift anytime soon. This issue has been discussed many times.

Goon
08-18-2003, 09:54 PM
As more and more apps are beginning to take features from each other (ie. modo) why not have a customizable UI, navigation, etc, that has app presets? I personally wont touch blender because i hate the ui. Other people share this sentiment.

Chris
08-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Theres interface changing stuff in the works. Some of the interfaces in the experimental blender tree have interface themes. Theres also been some awesome looking mockups in the blender functionality board mailing list for interface 'evolution' :)

matt_e
08-20-2003, 06:09 AM
2.3 is slated to have lots of interface improvements. Keep an eye on the forums in www.blender.org (site is down at the moment though :( ) to see what's in the works.

Kartoffel
08-22-2003, 05:06 PM
For me the interface is rather unimportant.
OK, its ugly, but you dont use blender to adore the gui, but to work with it!

The current Blender-Gui looks also very neutral so it doesn't disturb the style of the image you want to create (Which the new Blender-Gui i have seen, does in my opinion!)

Jezait
08-26-2003, 06:18 AM
I say blender is fine. I've been using it a few years now. It's just a matter of learning what all the buttons do. It's user-friendly to some extent, but personally, I think that those flashy user-friendly GUI's can be a bit dumb.

:shame:

Apollux
08-26-2003, 06:40 AM
The Inteface is as characteristic to Blender as the Stack is characteristic to 3D Studio Max.... without them those software just't won't be the same.

dAfTiE
09-01-2003, 12:31 PM
I have to say I think Blender has the most user-hostile interface I've ever encountered...
But then I'm spoiled by Wings and C4D :)

I love the features tho...I just wish they were packaged in a more intuitive manner,is all...
As it is,I find it completely impossible to figure out.
Not sure if that say more about my capacity for figuring ish out or the interface,but...;)
Anyways,I'm really looking forward to seeing what's in Blenders future.
That Eskil? guy seems to have some pretty interesting ideas for NGB...wonder how something like that would work in practice.

Polou
09-02-2003, 12:22 AM
To dAfTiE

I really would like to know why do you use Blender ?
I also have C4D and I think it's a great one so I'm very curious to know why Blender ?

To be honest I have been following Blender for years (but not using it, don't know why).. there is something fascinating about Blender ... don't know what ...! I think C4D is easier to use.. well I don't know .. please tell me.

Thanks

Apollux
09-02-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Polou
To be honest I have been following Blender for years (but not using it, don't know why).. there is something fascinating about Blender ... don't know what ...! I think C4D is easier to use.. well I don't know .. please tell me.

Thanks

I think that I know what you mean :)

The first time that I ever opened Blender I was in total shock ... It was so UNFAMILIAR... to the point that the only thing that I managed to do was to click on the X button to close the app. window :eek:

-and no, it wasn' t my first time using a 3D software.-

However, been so dark and obscure it was like looking into a stary night and wonder "what else can be there" .. I looked around the internet and, despite the fact that still couldn' t find my way around the program, I did notice that Blender was more than a hobby for many..... It almost reached the status of a Religion.

Putting into the hands of every one with CG courosity a 'full feature" loaded 3D suit, capable of pre-rendered as well as real-time imaginary... totally for free and still been able to pay the rent with it (little did I know about the financial status of NaN back then) was a big BREAK-THROUGH development ... the ultimate goal worth fighting for!!

And there was a pulsing and enormous user community ... just to give you an idea, the user community of Blender right now is about 5 times the size of CGTalK :eek: - yeap, last time they counted the user base of Blender was about the same size of the projected CG 'paying customers' market: 250,000 users. So, I was no suprize that when it was time for the users to financially help blender, almost 100,000 euros were raised in 2 weeks.

.. and all those people supporting and standing united for one single goal... it was overwhelming in deep !!!

So, as I later came to know, having an "agains the grain" user interface is a natural result for the whole "agains the grain" ideal of Blender.

Polou
09-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Thanks Apollux

>It almost reached the status of a Religion.

I think that, that is what it is.

I know it's silly to compare Blender with Truespace, Cinema or Lightwave but is Blender far behond those ?

dAfTiE
09-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Well,I started looking at blender LONG before I got C4D :)
At the time the only 3d apps I had were blender and povray,
and I still felt blender was the less intuitive of the two.
The reason I still look at the new releases and stuff today,
is that I find the whole open source movement to be fantastic.
I also play around with apps like K-3D and AOI and others,
and jpatch looks pretty interesting as well,
but blender seems to be the most feature-rich of the bunch.
Just can't wrap my brain around the interface is all.

Apollux
09-02-2003, 05:24 PM
About the Religion thing.. did you know that the Blender community speaks his own language?

It is officially called "Blender Turbo Language" and is the defacto choice when writing tutorials.

So, the next time that you see things like "RMB" "LMB" , "NKEY", "IPO", "RKV", "GKEY", "Potato Mode", etc. etc.... you know that you are reading Blender Turbo Language. :rolleyes:

If you are serious about Blender then you must learn the language, and the best place to start is by reading "Blender Interface Introduction" tutoriasl, there are many of them in the net.

dani
09-09-2003, 08:16 PM
my two cents...

i find that blender's UI is ugly but fast! really fast!
Some work is being done to make the UI nicer but i fear it might come out as a completely discordant UI after some time since ideas are going in all sorts of directions.

However most agree that the UI should be made more user friendly but maintain it's speed! The on y un-intituive part at the moment is, IMO, the two panels, one for the material, the other for the texture... but it makes sense, one texture can be used in different materials.

Anyway

Ciao
Dani

stew
09-14-2003, 12:34 PM
You have to distinguish between "easy to use" and "easy to learn". Blender may not be easy to learn, but once learnt it's very easy to use. Since Blender is not an application that untrained people use occasionally (like a ticket vending machine), it doesn't need to be self-explaining. In contrast, it's an interface that is very efficient in the hands of a trained user, and IMO easier to use than Cinema4D or 3ds max.

That doesn't mean that Blender's UI cannot be improved, in contrast - I could give you a huge list of things I'd change in the UI, but by any means I'd not try to make it "easier to use" by forcing it into a yummy-gumdrop-button MetaCreations UI or anything in that direction. Some people think that fancier buttons make an app easier to use, but that's just plain wrong.

Modron
09-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Indeed, while it seems rather forein at the onset, once you get the hang of it, you realize that the way it is set up is very practical, and....intuitive. ( yes intuitive ) Hi guys, just registered! Hello to my Elysiun compadres!

RISKBREAKER
09-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Well, originally, Blender was a custom tool for in-house production in Neogeo (not the SNK guys). So, the interface was specifically for certain people / persons. Dont know why it wasnt changed when it was released to the public, maybe early releases attracted die hard fans and then....well...we all know what comes after that :)

BTW, you guys seen the Interface Redesign proposal from Blender.org yet?

Apollux
09-25-2003, 11:51 AM
I saw a menu re-design proposal, one that has almost all the hidden hot-keys grouped by menues. Is that the same proposal you are talking about?

Apollux
09-26-2003, 12:24 AM
OK, I did some homework.

Here is the official UI propposal for 2.3x:
http://www.blender.org/docs/UI/ui_redesign2.html

and here is a Report on the Menu System, by Matt Ebb
http://www.blender.org/docs/UI/matt_menu_proposal.html

I'm still diggesting all that ... I think will be really good for new Blender users, but we members of the Old guard will have a little rough time adapting :shrug:

RISKBREAKER
09-26-2003, 11:33 AM
I know what you mean....I read some of the proposal...and left the rest for later....it was all a bit fresh to me...but still its looking cool....just dont know how long it will take for me to adjust. I got faith in it though. Ultimately, things must change...an "undeniable dilemma".

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.