PDA

View Full Version : Active/Passive Rigid Bodies

sockstar85
11-17-2009, 02:49 AM
I've got a scene where a car is drifting around a corner, hitting a fire hydrant, then sliding into a light pole. The car model has many separate pieces of geometry that are all grouped together and controlled using curves. I rigged the car to have controls to control the Y Translate of each wheel, another to control to control the X and Z rotation and Y Translation of the body of the car, and one more curve that everything is parented to and I use that as my translate control.

I have the car set on a motion path and I keyed the Y Rotation of the translate control so that as it follows the motion path it looks like it's sliding and drifting around the corner. I know I want the hydrant to be an active rigid body so when the car hits it it does its own thing. The question I had is I want the car to follow the motion path, be a passive rigid body so it can hit the hydrant, but I want it to become an active rigid body as it hits the pole. How can I link all the pieces of geometry together so they will all act together as it hits the pole? Basically so I don't get a bunch of car pieces just flying randomly all over the scene.

sockstar85
11-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Along with this...

I had it suggested to me that I duplicate the cars, have one go along the motion path, then at one point have the duplicated car sitting there with with its visibility turned off. Once the car on the motion path gets to the other car, switch their visibility and have the other car as an active body and put some initial velocity on it.

I'm struggling trying to get the initial velocity to work when it turns visible. How to I get it to hold still until it's time for it to move? When I set active and passive keys on them and then put initial velocity on it, it still just sits there.

TheRispo
11-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Along with this...

I'm struggling trying to get the initial velocity to work when it turns visible. How to I get it to hold still until it's time for it to move? When I set active and passive keys on them and then put initial velocity on it, it still just sits there.

On the rigid solver attributes set the start time to be the frame on wich the object becomes visible...

sockstar85
11-18-2009, 06:16 PM
TheRispo you are a lifesaver my friend. Thanks for the info. The screenshot really helped too.

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2009, 06:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.