PDA

View Full Version : Maya Particles

sockstar85
11-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Hi, I'm learning Maya using Maya 2009. I'm working on a project using Particles. In this part of it I want a car to hit a fire hydrant and the water to shoot up out of the ground then fall back to the ground again. I've got the particles rendering as streaks or multiple streaks and have the line width set how I like it to come out. What I want is the line width to get smaller and the particles visibility to kind of fade out rather than them just disappearing after their lifetime is up. How can I make the line width get smaller over its lifetime and also its visibility? Thanks for any insight.

TheRispo
11-17-2009, 04:01 PM
for the opacity of the particles to fade out.. just add the attribute "opacityPP" to your particle shape and map a ramp to it.(On the "Add dynamics attributes" click on the opacity button and choose "Add Per Particle Attribute").

As far as I know there isn't a way to get the particle width to decrease as the particle dies.. those are per-object attributes and changing them changes the whole particle shape..

sockstar85
11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks TheRispo. Very useful and exactly what I needed for that. I didn't quite know how to add the ramp, but I soon figured that out. Thanks again for the help.

Wick3dParticle
11-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks TheRispo. Very useful and exactly what I needed for that. I didn't quite know how to add the ramp, but I soon figured that out. Thanks again for the help.

Once your per particle opacity is created, find the attribute in your per particle attributes section. Right click on it and choose 'create ramp'.

~Ilan

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2009, 07:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.