PDA

View Full Version : How to build a simple "2d style" character in 3d?

Leffler
11-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi!

I want to create an easy character for animation, and I would like it to look sort of like a stickfigure..! But in 3d .... something like this: http://sunnykharbanda.com/images/content/walk_storyboard.jpg .... or the character up in the left corner on http://www.jasonryananimation.com/main.html

But my mind is just stuck on how to build it! It looks really silly if i build it to "flat", and if I give it to much depth it just doesnt look like I want ....

... any tips? Or any links to other characters like this built in 3d?

wakkamis
11-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Looks like a sphere for the head, a modified cylinder or rounded box for the body and some render-able splines for the arms and legs.

paulmcg1
11-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Why not just draw a 2d character? If he's 2d, I don't see why you'd need to make him 3d. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a 2d character? If you definetely need to make a 3d character but have him look as if he's 2d, I'd just use the 2d rendering feature in any 3d software package. You could probably use cubes and just scale them very thin for the feet, legs, arms, and hands. Hope this helps!

musashidan
11-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Why not just draw a 2d character? If he's 2d, I don't see why you'd need to make him 3d. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a 2d character?

presumably so he can animate the rig rather than have to draw every single frame. ;)

Leffler
11-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah exaxtly, i dont want to "2d-animate in a 3d-software" .... I want to make a character that looks like a 2d/stickfigure/flipbook kind but I cant get the look right .... gaah!

paulmcg1
11-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Just practice on drawing. Stick figures aren't difficult to draw with a little bit of practice.

Machka
11-20-2009, 03:38 AM
I think the SuperToon series from Alias goes into this quite well.

There is a section on a 2d cartoon cat diving into a garbage can. I think the art was mapped to planes/rigged/animated in Maya.

Leffler
11-20-2009, 08:05 PM
thanks machka, iŽll have a look at it

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2009, 08:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.