PDA

View Full Version : Vue 3d model library

ossosso
11-16-2009, 05:57 PM
hi everyone!

I'm exploring vue for the first time and I've found it really impressive.

Now that I've understood how it works I'd like to make richer my scene adding more 3d model and content, in particular I'm looking for a 3d model library of VEHICLES; that one on the EXTRA cd is quite poor.

Can someone link me towards some web resource where to find them?

Thank you very much!

guardonduty
11-16-2009, 06:17 PM
TRY http://www.cornucopia3d.com/

runejw
11-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Assuming you have Vue with "3D import" module included - here's a site with a number of cars and other vehicles in .lwo format

http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/ -> shopping -> Car 3D Models -> Free Collection (free for private use only )

ossosso
11-17-2009, 07:01 AM
thank you very much guardonduty, cornucopia3d is the first website I've found looking around, quite good, but not enough

runejw, yes I can import model (3ds, obj, lwo) anyway they aren't created exactly for vue, the .lwo isn't the lightwave format for example? This mean that the material of the model loses some features 'cause it has to be adjusted for vue.

Anyway I thank you very much!

teruchan
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM
If you can import obj, and other formats, files you have a world of models opened up for you. They're everywhere you see?

The best cars you could ever want will be found here:

http://www.3d02.com/

Hope that helps,

ossosso
11-22-2009, 06:12 PM
yes teruchan your're right but an .obj model isn't a ready-to-use model.
For example Evermotion products, they have applied on them materials for vray, mental ray, maxwell... so they are ready to be rendered, while .obj models should be first shaded.
What I was looking for are models ready to be used into vue, with yet performed materials applied to them (glass, plastic, metal, etc. etc.

Abraham
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Runejw, thank you very much for the link you posted, I wasn't aware of this place and they indeed have really good models. I'm not a professional, so the fact they are free is also a great plus for me :)

Ossosso, don't take what I will say the wrong way, I'm not attacking you :) It will always be very hard to find models specifically designed for vue (you can try: Cornucopia, Renderosity, Geek At Play, AsileFX) so it will very often happen, especially if you have very specific needs that you will have to adapt models made for other software. Most of the time, import will go smoothly (unless the model is really crappy) so, most of the work will be in creating shaders for your imported models. If you are on a deadline, maybe not, but otherwise you should see that as a great thing. Vue material editor is very powerful and once you know how to use it, they are very little things you can't do with it (it's still difficult to create a good skin shader, but it's difficult even in applications where you have dedicated shaders so ...). Import your model, start shading it using some of the shaders that come with vue and once you have done that, start tweaking them, you will learn a lot and shading is really one of the most important (with lighting) technic you must master to use any 3D application.

ossosso
11-24-2009, 05:21 PM
yes abram, your're right, shading is very important workflow process.. anyway after some years of experience I've learnt that shading is a constant, what I mean: once done for example a "Steel" material, it will be always the same, I have no more to lose time to recreate it everytime, this is the same for every other kind of material (obviously I'm talking about "Architectural Visualization", what I do).

In this way I've built a yet tested and well known material library, that allows me a fast workflow.

Even if I've built by myself a material library the first time (3dsmax + vray), this doesn't mean that I've to do the same thing when I start to work in a new 3d environment (maya + mental ray, maxwell render, Vue...); the final target is to obtein a final image in the less time with the highest quality possible, in this kind of view are important 3d model libraries ready to be used like the evermotion one.

Under this concepts I've a question for you about the xStream version of vue.

Example:
I open 3dsmax + vray and I import a 3d car model by evermotion that has applied on it vray materials ready to be rendered.
If I render the scene using Vue xStream in 3dsmax.. what happens?
Is there a sort of converion of the car vray materials into vue materials?

Thank you.

Abraham
11-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Ok, I understand you point of view perfectly, as I said, when deadlines are here you have no real choice :) I'm lucky enough to use vue for my pleasure, so of course things are way different.

Now, to answer you question, I'm not really familiar with v-ray but I would suppose it behave the same as mental-ray that I actually know. In xStream, everything you load from the host application (max, maya, lightwave ...) is rendered by the render engine of the host application, in max case, either mental ray or v-ray depending on the render engine you selected. So, let's say, you make a building in your modeling tool of choice, if you load it from the vue import dialog, it will be rendered by the vue render engine and will need vue materials applied to it. Conversly, if you load it using the host application importer, it will be rendered by mental ray (or v-ray) and will use mental ray or v-ray materials.

I hope you understand my explanations, my Engliish is far to be great :) If not, let me know and I will try to rephrase this :)

ossosso
11-24-2009, 05:47 PM
yes Abram, I understand what you said.

I've tried the PLE xStream version and I'm not really sure that (in my case 3dsmax + vray) it uses the host render engine (vray for me); it appears to me that even if inside 3dsmax + vray + Vue xStream, always the vue render engine was used.

Can someone confirm?

elfguy
11-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I have lots of Vue stuff on my site. I hear the textures are much liked in particular.

http://elfguy.net/store

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2009, 09:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.