PDA

View Full Version : Wacom 4 tablet on ZBrush - Advice needed

HiTekJeff
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I was getting into doing some sculpting of pre-made figures like modifying OBJ ones and also from places like Daz. Basically, I just have novice skills right now and want an easy work flow for me to get my figures into my art without getting to advanced.

That said, I am wondering if it would be worth it for me to purchase a Wacom 4 graphics tablet to do my ZBrush sculpting and editing with? Right now I am just using a mouse and find there are some areas, like around the eyes, that require a very steady hand. The mouse seems fine for some things, but I wasn't sure about details and rather or not it would benefit me given that I am mainly re-working meshes.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice on the Wacom.

happy-gibbon
11-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Using zbrush with a wacom tablet will make a world of difference. It makes sculpting smooth and easy. I seriously wouldn't have even bought zbrush if I was just going to use it with a mouse. With that said though you do not need a very large tablet to get the benifits. I have owned a 9x12 intuos2 and a size small intuos4, and I far prefer the small one. It is exhausting using a large tablet for long periods of time. If you really don't wanna spend that much, you can prob just get a bamboo, but if your serious, intuos is the way to go.

HiTekJeff
11-17-2009, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was strongly considering the Wacom Intuos 4 and what you said makes me think that I would benefit from it even though I am mainly sculpting pre-made characters. Looks like that will be on my Christmas list. :)

Drakaran
11-18-2009, 08:04 PM
for sculpting, it's invaluable. I have an Intuos 3 6x8 and it's a big clunker for me (it's measurements for edge to edge are 10x14). It really comes down to available desktop space and gesture style. If you make BIG gestures, you'll want a larger tablet, but for me, I think I would have preferred the small if I was going to buy again, as I tend to like using much smaller strokes, and this tablet is big enough that it's very difficult for me to draw long, straight lines.

The only bonus to a large tablet is you CAN restrict the surface to a smaller sample area if you want, but you still have to deal with the shear size of the tablet. I also tend to like the tablet slanted, and it's so big, there winds up not being any particularly good solution.

The really weird thing about this tablet though, even though it has a 4:3 ratio, my monitor is 16:9 (1080p) and yet on the screen my circles are round that I draw. I'm not sure how this works since I'd think that a circle I'd draw on the tablet would be produced as an oval on the screen. It's either really really smart in understanding what's going on, or I must tend to draw ovals so they are coming out circles on the screen. LOL

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2009, 08:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.