PDA

View Full Version : Realistic katana

Sang-Hee
11-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi, I need to model a katana for combining with a real life action in high detail. I've seen plenty of tutorials around the internet but they mostly produce very simple model usually just by drawing an outline and then extruding it to make a blade. I don't want this. Is there any tutorial that would give me a realistic quality model that is not to be ashamed of being used in real footage?

musashidan
11-16-2009, 08:47 AM
This has been said many times here before.Modeling a Katana is no different than modeling a banana. Get some good reference and use whatever tools at your disposal to get the job done to the best of your ability. If you possess decent modeling skills,this should be straightforward.

Sang-Hee
11-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Ok, will do. I was just wondering if there is a tutorial that would help me get a good balance between a model and a texture. I'm not really good at texturing and even if it doesn't seem so it's not easy to make a good blade material, especially one that would hold even at close-ups.

musashidan
11-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Have you seen Neil Blevin's Hard surface shading/texturing DVD? It's terrific.

teruchan
11-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Short of having a real katana at your side, you need the highest quality, highest resolution reference material you can get your hands on. Find images on Google searching terms like katana or "katana sword" and make sure to click the large images only selection. Plenty of 2000+ pixel images to be found.

drawallday
11-18-2009, 02:42 PM
To do something like this, I would expect to create a hires model and apply all the normal, occlusion and color maps to the lores version. If there are close up shots, then adjust the model accordingly for close ups.

Also think about the reflections on the blade. How will this be approached?

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2009, 02:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.